PEAX Equipment

Why is my bolt black and not Cerakote Tactical Gray on my New Howa KUIU?

MrWinkle13

I just purchased a Howa Kuiu 7mm08 and my bolt is black in color but my action and barrel are Cerakote™ Tactical Gray, even though all the online pictures clearly show them as the same color. The bolt does not look blued but painted (maybe cerakote, not sure). I called LSI and they said they stop cerakoting the bolt due to accuracy issues and therefore couldn't guarantee rifle as sub-MOA. Has anyone else heard of this before? Is there any truth to this?

20181122_140644_HDR.jpg

20181122_140705_HDR.jpg

20181122_140746_HDR.jpg

20181122_141026_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
While I understand your frustration I’m not sure I’d be too worked up. The 2 guns that I have that are cerakoted are actually kind of sticky and not smooth at all. It frustrating for sure. I think the black blends well with the existing black in the camo. Nice looking gun!

While I understand your frustration I’m not sure I’d be too worked up. The 2 guns that I have that are cerakoted are actually kind of sticky and not smooth at all. It frustrating for sure. I think the black blends well with the existing black in the camo. Nice looking gun!

It has grown on me so i'm starting to like it as well; it was just an unwanted surprise. However i do appreciate the smooth action and would choose that over cerakote any day.

Last edited:
My gun while not a Howa has a Cerakoted bolt to match barrel and reciever. I say BS.
I hope that is not the case i plan on purchasing a .243 kuiu in a month for my dad. It's not to much of a big deal, the deer wont be able to tell the difference, I just wish/hope there was/is better QC if that was the case.

I agree with Lawnboy. I had a 700 cerakoted and ask for the bolt and inside the action not be coated and they still did it. It’s not smooth at all,kind of like it binds up a little. Am not happy with it.

Last edited:
Fellas, most makers have figured out that a bolt functions better without cerakoting on it.
It is smoother and locks up better .
Blued is the way to go or a nitrate finish. The cerakoting wears off as it is used and can push the removed material into the lug locking area, causing a little stickiness and potentially a accuracy issue.

I agree with Lawnboy. I had a 700 cerakoted and told ask for the bolt and inside the action not be coated and they still did it. It’s not smooth at all,kind of like it binds up a little. Am out happy with it

It seems like i may have actually dodged a bullet, my action is really smooth and is one of key reasons for me purchasing the rifle. Thanks for the reply it definitely reassure me that this was done for my benefit.

I agree with Lawnboy. I had a 700 cerakoted and ask for the bolt and inside the action not be coated and they still did it. It’s not smooth at all,kind of like it binds up a little. Am not happy with it.

I have two rifles with cerakoted bolts, one is really smooth and the other is sticky and more than a little annoying. I think it has a lot to do with how the cerakote is applied.

Must have been out of the cerakote bolts at the factory in Japan when that one was assembled so you got the standard blued one instead.

Probably wont' matter unless you go to sell it, or you get it damp and get some rust.

Must have been out of the cerakote bolts at the factory in Japan when that one was assembled so you got the standard blued one instead.

Probably wont' matter unless you go to sell it, or you get it damp and get some rust.

I'm not to sure its blued, it's not shiny and smooth like a bluing. To be quite honest i think it is SS with black cerakote.

I also question their reasoning but it very well might be the case. after buying 2 different Howa Alpine Rifles with the Cerakoted bolt barrel and action (essentially the exact same barrel and action you have on your Kuiu model) I've noticed a couple things worth noting and worth letting legacy sports know about.

First I'll say I love my Howa and have killed multiple animals with it and its very accurate and a joy to hunt/shoot with.
My first Howa Alpine came with a black panted bottom metal and not Cerakoted like it should have. Matt with LSI quickly said that was the old way they were shipped so he replaced it immediately with a new one. I hunted one season with the ammoboost magazine to save weight. I hated it and do not think its a good design at all so I switched to the new cerakoted bottom metal. problem was my stock was "an older model" and was not compatible with the hinged floorplate. that stock also didn't have the little red "fire" safety dot on it either. I sent the rifle in where they replace the entire stock for a new one. now my rifle is good to go

I bought a second Alpine and that rifle looked pretty good to go. I did notice it had a completely different recoil pad than my other one and the O and the A in Howa on the floorplate was solid black like the inside of the letters weren't removed when it was placed on the bottom metal and cerakoted.

I tell you these things because I feel like these rifles are put together at different times by different people and almost feel more like a custom gun than a factory rifle like a browning, ruger savage etc. I do wish Legacy would address these things because its not what I expect when buying a rifle. especially when spending close to $1000 on the upper end rifles they sell.

as long as yours is working correctly and still has the all weather properties that you wanted in a cerakoted barreled action I'd leave it the way it is. they still need to update their brochure and website to reflect this change. if it is in fact a legitimate change

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back