PEAX Equipment

Rings for my new VX-5

RedRaider13

I just picked up a new Leupold VX-5 3-15x44 and plan to install it on my Remington 700 Sendero 7mm Mag. Im trying to decide on bases and rings. Guy at the store recommended the Leupold STD rings and one piece base, they’re just don’t appear very durable and I am unsure about the durability of the “windage adjustment ring” not being secure to the base... is my concern unwarranted or should I be looking for a different mounting system?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I would either use the Leupold standard rings or a Burris Signature ring. Both are good and not over priced. There’s no need to worry about the Leupold Standard ring. They are VERY strong and durable. That said, the last set that I bought had somewhat shallow toed heads on them. The screw holds the ring very securely, but the screw was easy to damage while tightnening. Lots of companies make a turn in style ring because they are very durable and the adjustability is a great thing to have. You can also get replacement screws for the windage adjustment. Burris makes a turn-in style in both regular and signature and they still have a nice hard to damage screw head. Using windage adjustable rings allows you to save your scope adjustment for adjustment instead of using itbyo just to get zeroed. Using a base with the proper amount of MOA built in, or a signature ring insert to adjust elevation is also a help.

Burris Signature. Strong steel rings with a floating, self-centering insert that will protect your scope and avoid the need to lap the rings.

Myself i use EGW one piece base and Vortex Viper rings for my hunting rifles, including my 7mm Rem Mag.
For my range guns i'm using EGW one piece 20MOA base and Warne rings.

I'd check out Conetrol rings and bases. The rings are projectionless, so no screw holes to get full of dirt, water and other crud. I've used Leopold rings and bases for years until I found Conetrol. They have been banged around most of the western states, Alaska and BC and are still rock solid. GJ

I have used the Leupold std rings on several rifles over the years. With that said the only negative thing I have to say is on two I have had a ring screw break where it screwed into the bottom ring, not something you need to find when hunting. I recently bought some Warne rings to go on my VX-5.

Windage adjustable bases and a 20 oz scope are a recipe for disaster.

I’d go with Weaver style or Talleys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back