Rings for my new VX-5

Go Talley if you like cracked and broken rings in your near future. Put a rail and some Burris if you like solid that works.

That's curious, only have been using them on 5 rifles for going on 10 years and not a single problem.

I would also recommend talleys.

Go Talley if you like cracked and broken rings in your near future. Put a rail and some Burris if you like solid that works.

I’ve owned a ton of Talley rings and even before I had a torque wrench and things were just tightened to “farmer tight” I never cracked or broke rings

Yes I have Talley's, and I've used them for years. But they are a pain in the ass to install straight. And unless you like lapping, or are willing to accept how (not) true the factory mounting screw holes are on a typical M700 action, they are more trouble than the saving in weight is worth, especially with a 12 lb beanfield rig.

Picatinny rail and weaver or picatinny mounts will give a straight, bombproof mount perfect for a sendero. Warnes are now my favorite mount for any mounted or integral rail.

Yes I have Talley's, and I've used them for years. But they are a pain in the ass to install straight. And unless you like lapping, or are willing to accept how (not) true the factory mounting screw holes are on a typical M700 action, they are more trouble than the saving in weight is worth, especially with a 12 lb beanfield rig.

Picatinny rail and weaver or picatinny mounts will give a straight, bombproof mount perfect for a sendero. Warnes are now my favorite mount for any mounted or integral rail.

If the mounting holes are off which many are then a rail will not be straight either when mounted. Your rings might not be straight either but much closer but I always lap my rings in.

The rail will be straight? Or the rings will align straight? Either way it’s usually not a big issue with most setups and most hunters don’t even check alignment or lap to fix.

I ended up going with a set of Talley low profile extended rings since my local shop had them in stock. Since it is a 30mm tube the extended low rings fit perfectly. Got everything torqued, lapped, and sighted in. It’s a tack driver. Thank you everyone for the advice and recommendations.

I just mounted mine with a set of Leupold high back country rings and there was plenty of adjustment for eye relief.

That's what I plan to use if I ever get a gun to mount it on. I got the medium height rings and will use Leupold 2 piece QRH type bases. The thing with the front dovetail mount is that when you go to use the rear windage screws, you're more likely to bend the tube than to turn the ring in the dovetail because of the tight fit [IMO].

I ended up going with a set of Talley low profile extended rings since my local shop had them in stock. Since it is a 30mm tube the extended low rings fit perfectly. Got everything torqued, lapped, and sighted in. It’s a tack driver. Thank you everyone for the advice and recommendations.

Smart move with the extended...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back