PEAX Equipment

Montana Muley 2018

Spedray

Finally tried to figure out how to post on here! I had the opportunity to hunt 8 days out in eastern Montana this year. Showed up to an area we hunted last year, and had luck previously. First day was a windy blizzard with low visabilty. We tried hiking in to an area that was there furthest we could get from the road. Ended up seeing lots of deer and plenty of shooters but the wind or snow always seemed to blow the hardest and ruin any chance of taking a shot. My hunting partner did manage to get it done on a nice 5x6 muley in the worst place to pack out possible. We has to crawl hand over fist to get out of the steep terrain. IMG_0991.jpg

After putting in 10 mile days for the next four days, my hunting partner had to head back home. I decided to head into a new area that we haven't hunted yet. I found a large herd of 20 does feeding on a hillside 1 1/2 miles away and pulled out the spotting scope to find the buck that had to be ruling over the large harem. I finally found a buck walking out of the timber and he looked to have a nice frame with four points on each side and a spread outside of his ears. I made a plan for the stalk and it would put me shooting distance, but i wouldn't be able to see him till I was directly on top of him. After an hour hike, I popped out right where I was hoping but the deer weren't anywhere to be seen. I started to hike a little bit lower on the ridge and suddenly caught sight of the buck pushing the doe right where I had last seen him. I ended up dropping him in his tracks and walked up to see he had a nice kicker off one side that I hadn't seen originally. He didn't end up being quite as large as I thought, but it was a fun stalk and well earned deer on public land. IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

It always impresses me just how many deer we see. I think we counted between 15-20 bucks every day and found a herd of elk with seven bulls, a monster bobcat, flocks of turkeys, and more praire dogs than a man could shoot.
IMG_1001.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to mention how cool it is that the deer had black antlers from rubbing on all the burnt trees. It comes off pretty good in your hands!

IMG_0992 2.jpg

Great hunt for sure , thanks for posting . I couldn't make it out this year but it sure is fun to see others success !

Heck of a buck! That’s a cool pic of your hands black from the antlers.

Congrats! How was living with another hunter in the truck camper? Wife and I have looked pretty hard at them but I always wonder if there would be enough room if the weather got bad.

I went from a big fifth wheel last year to the slide in this year. I almost always hunt with another partner and have even had a third guy along at times. During archery season it is nice because we spend most of the time outdoors when awake. It's a little tougher during the colder snap of rifle season. I added extra insulation wherever possible and that helped with the heat loss. We usually share the bed and sit around the table while relaxing after the hunt. I miss the space of the fifth wheel but like the extra mobility the slide in allows specially in the mountains. It also beats just having a tent, especially when you can turn on the heat while getting ready, brewing coffee and using the bathroom in the morning. Only one guy can really get ready at a time but you learn quickly how to cope and just wake up a little bit sooner. I jump out of bed in the morning, so once I am done getting prepped, it's time for the other to get going.

Awesome trophies, and sounds like great memories.

As I type this, I am planning an Eastern MT hunt... Never been before, but I'm excited. First time ever trying OTC and especially 850 miles from home.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back