Caribou Gear

Grandfathers rifle

S13tsilvia

When my grandfather passed away the grandkids all got one of pops guns, well one of the cousins decided to sell pops gun without consulting anyone else in the family which pissed me off no end! i thought it was gone but somewhere something was looking out for me and i saw it appear on ozgunsales and did a double take, a quick call to the gunshop selling it and the rifle was mine! :boogie:
Its a 300 weatherby that my grandfather bought new over 20+ years ago, it has killed literally hundreds of sambar between me and him over the hounds, stalking, spotlighting under destruction permits and has been on multiple tours to Africa and other countries and it holds a very special place in my heart.
Even into his 80's he was still banging away with it before he passed and certainly sorted anything out that he put the scope onto!
His choice load was a 180gr pp woodie but i cannot remember the load, i will have to check with dad as he uses the same in his 300.
The rifle was magnaported many many years ago and its a puppy to shoot, he also fitted open sights as well for those really rainy days where the zeiss would be no good. The original stock was replaced a long time ago with the plastic one and both it and the metalwork have many scars from being used so much.
I would say this rifle would have shot between 1500-2000 rounds in its lifetime and is still as accurate as hell!
Anyway its into the safe for one of my boys to shoot when they get lots older. I am tossing up if i do it up and bring it back to new or not....i think i will keep it as is :)

Great story and good for you. Cool rifle. No more Thanksgiving with that cousin if he were mine,..... at the least

Glad you were able to get it back. When my grandma passed my grandpa gave us each one of her guns. I got the model 1100 20 gauge lightweight. My brother got her model 700 bdl 243 he pawned it and didn’t make good and never told anyone. It was never seen again I exhausted every gun shop around looking for it after we found out a month after he did it. I could have killed him.

great story. obviously its completely up to you, but i fear if you mess with the rifle, the memories from all the dings and dent may go with it. Personally I'd keep it as is.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back