Roll Call Who is a Berger shooter

I love bullet threads. mtmuley

The thread title was pretty simple who’s shooting them. It didn’t say what’s you’re preference or anything. Without fail some chimes in that “x” bullet is junk or “x” caliber is crap or “x” broadhead is horrible. I just can’t understand why people can’t have different experiences or even results without someone telling you you’re in the wrong.????? Maybe you have an Accubond tattoo on your ankle or maybe you’ve got a Barnes tramp stamp. Well good on you. Post up a picture of what you shot and let’s here the story.

Mt- You still using Berger’s in the 243 or moved on to hammers? I think the Berger is definitely one of the best choices in bullets for the 6mm.

Mt- You still using Berger’s in the 243 or moved on to hammers? I think the Berger is definitely one of the best choices in bullets for the 6mm.

Using Hammers. Had good results with the VLD. But, I've figured out BC isn't the definitive requirement for killing. mtmuley

I am going to try out some 140 berger classics in my .270 once I get my bolt back. I have seen the 140s in .264 do some work on coues deer out to 750 yards. I couldnt get the 180 berger to group under an 1" in my 7 mag.

Jeez Lawnboy. Hope I didn't offend. I've shot Bergers. Moved on. mtmuley
Wasn’t aimed at you. I knew what you meant though when you said “I love bullet threads” 😂. Just get tired of the weenie measuring contests. I’m all about sharing positive and negative experiences to help make decisions.

I don’t shoot them for their BC, but rather for their accuracy. Yes there are other accurate hunting bullets, but I shoot Bergers at paper and have for many years resulting in confidence in their accuracy. I now have confidence in their killing ability as well. As far as other brands go, I’ve had two 150gr BT Huntings that didn’t open up much on small WTs. I watched my dad shoot a mule deer three times with 168gr Accubonds at 75yds before it came of its feet. All five shots in question were pass throughs and tberes no doubt that the mule deer would have died from the first shot. He would however had done what the two WTs did, and that is run 100-200yds. He was near a boundary, so he just kept hammering it. All five mule deer that I’ve shot with VLDs dropped in their tracks and failed to take another step. The elk was gut shot on the first shot, but found laying down near where he was hit, and the second shot killed him. Many of the more explosive game bullets get a bad rap fro opening up on the surface and not hitting anything vital except with perfect shots, and many of the bullets that penetrate well get reports of failures to open up under certain circumstances. The VLDs do an excellent job of getting in before they blow up, and they usually blow up. Yes, there are reports out there of them failing to do so, but as was mentioned before, there are failures reported with every bullet.

Bergers are designed to "unload" the majority of their energy into the animal and not the dirt behind them. How is that not more lethal? I shoot Hornady interlocks in my .308 too, but I'm just saying. Dumping the bullet's energy while still in the animal makes the most sense. Ideally, I want my bullet to fall to the ground once it exits the skin on the opposite side. And oh yeah, by the way, Bergers just happen to be one of the most accurate bullets out there. While reloading, I have found the consistency of these bullets is absolutely superb! But then again, they better be for 50 cents a pop.

Bergers are designed to "unload" the majority of their energy into the animal and not the dirt behind them. How is that not more lethal? I shoot Hornady interlocks in my .308 too, but I'm just saying. Dumping the bullet's energy while still in the animal makes the most sense. Ideally, I want my bullet to fall to the ground once it exits the skin on the opposite side. And oh yeah, by the way, Bergers just happen to be one of the most accurate bullets out there. While reloading, I have found the consistency of these bullets is absolutely superb! But then again, they better be for 50 cents a pop.

Probly believe in "knockdown power" too huh? mtmuley

7 of our family shooting them 168 or 175 7mm hunting bullets, lost count long long time ago how much game that has been taken, and not one head lost,,,,,
2nd choice is the nosler accubond 160 in the 7mm's

Number of people mentioned accuracy. Well how much accuracy is needed in a hunting bullet? Even at long range, most bullet's in a rifle that likes them provide far more accuracy than necessary. If your rifle shoot's 1/2 MOA at 100 yds, I believe it should do the same at 1000 yds. The error is human provided! Just because the rifle and bullet can do it doesn't mean the shooter can!

Couple thought's on expending itself inside the animal. Bullet that does that will make a mess inside especially if you hit solid meat. Bullet that shoot's through can still make some what of a mess but also leaves a blood trail for those the like a blood trail! For hunting big game, I like the bullet that shoots through. Something I found with that bullet, if properly placed, the animal seldom goes very far. I think the one's we hear about running off a long way are the result of not enough bullet or more likely, poor shot placement! Probably should mention that unless the central nervous system is hit, I don't see those animals dropping right there but always within about 30 yds or less.

^^^ 1/2MOA is plenty good, but I try not to go much bigger than that. I’ve shot plenty of bullets that would occasionally give me 1/2 MOA, but to get five shot groups that rarely exceed 1/2 MOA, I’ve found that Bergers are a lot easier to get there. For accuracy, I trust them. I know they won’t fail me there. I shot them on paper long before they labeled them as hunting bullets, and I was reluctant to try them on game. Five dead mule deer, four deer that did not take one step after being hit. VLDs have been the most lethal bullet I’ve ever used. Four of those deer were hit in the lungs without hitting bone except some ribs, and the last one was hit between ribs. I shot a running pig, and when I skinned him I found that he was hit in the guts and frankly couldn’t figure out why he dropped in his tracks. The only elk I’ve ever shot was hit in the guts and found very near where I shot him. Alive, but laying down and he didn’t run when I got within 30yds of him.

I used to like a blood trail. More explosive bullets of other designs often don’t get very deep before they start expanding. VLDs really do seem to get into the vitals before blowing up, and when they do blow up, they do so to such an extent that the animal seems to bleed out in a matter of seconds. It’s the only bullet I’ve seen drop animals so quickly with just a double lung shot that doesn’t hit the shoulder.

Last edited:
^^^ 1/2MOA is plenty good, but I try not to go much bigger than that. I’ve shot plenty of bullets that would occasionally give me 1/2 MOA, but to get five shot groups that rarely exceed 1/2 MOA, I’ve found that Bergers are a lot easier to get there. For accuracy, I trust them. I know they won’t fail me there. I shot them on paper long before they labeled them as hunting bullets, and I was reluctant to try them on game. Four dead mule deer, four deer that did not take one step after being hit. VLDs have been the most lethal bullet I’ve ever used. Three of those deer were hit in the lungs without hitting bone except some ribs, and the last one was hit between ribs. I shot a running pig, and when I skinned him I found that he was hit in the guts and frankly couldn’t figure out why he dropped in his tracks. The only elk I’ve ever shot was hit in the guts and found very near where I shot him. Alive, but laying down and he didn’t run when I got within 30yds of him.

I used to like a blood trail. More explosive bullets of other designs often don’t get very deep before they start expanding. VLDs really do seem to get into the vitals before blowing up, and when they do blow up, they do so to such an extent that the animal seems to bleed out in a matter of seconds. It’s the only bullet I’ve seen drop animals so quickly with just a double lung shot that doesn’t hit the shoulder.

I shoot the 168 gr VLD from the .30-06. I do think I will probably be making a change.

The bullet preforms like advertised (1 step most of the time, if that), however I like eating the heart in animals and the berger turns the insides to soup.

Great Bullet for the non organ eating hunter.

I shoot the 168 gr VLD from the .30-06. I do think I will probably be making a change.

The bullet preforms like advertised (1 step most of the time, if that), however I like eating the heart in animals and the berger turns the insides to soup.

Great Bullet for the non organ eating hunter.

I’ve recovered an intact heart from three of the five, but soup is the truth.

I recovered the heart from the deer I shot with a VLD this year also, but I purposefully aimed back from the heart so as not to hit it. Insides were definitely soup though. I can see where TheDudeAbides is coming from though. I actually just had that heart last night for dinner.

Back