Roll Call Who is a Berger shooter

88man

3 more one shot kills from the 180 grn berger vld in 7mm dakota, Antelope/Elk/Mule deer. 450/600/500 yrds.

195EOL in my new 28Nosler this season! Love the performance of Berger bullets! Been using them for a while now in many different calibers and all with amazing accuracy and results.

Still have some 7 ultra mag rounds loaded. 180gr VLD IIRC.....fast and accurate.

Last edited:
You shoot them long enough and you'll find out what happens when a Berger doesn't open up. Been there - done that - got the pictures to prove it.
Good Luck.

one mule deer and one hog using 185 VLDs from a .308.
Two mule deer using 130 VLDs from a 6.5 wildcat running 3300fps. Fastest kills I’ve ever seen. First was around 100-150yds. Second was at 380yds.
Two mule deer using 140Elite Hunters at 3200fps. Both at 300yds.
One elk using 140 Elite Hunters at 3200. First shot was in the guts at 670yds, but it put him down. Second shot finished the job.

I’ve never been as pleased with a bullet for killing performance. So glad I started using them on game. Under .5 MOA in both guns.

You shoot them long enough and you'll find out what happens when a Berger doesn't open up. Been there - done that - got the pictures to prove it.
Good Luck.

Did you point them?

Nearly every rifle in my safe has a load developed with Berger bullets. 30-06 168 vlds, 7-08 140, .300 wm 185’s, 28 nosler 195’s, 7 rm 168’s. Gotta be approaching 100 animals in 4 states without a single one not dropping in its tracks.

Good Luck.

You shoot any bullet long enough and you’ll have this I suppose until then use what works. Wish I would’ve taken internal pictures of my bull from this year. One shot three steps right in the vitals and the insides were like Jell-O. For the record I do not shoot for bones in the shoulder or anything like that. I go vitals like an archery hunter would with these bullets.
533D163D-39ED-46D8-82B7-1FCAAEFC8B54.jpg

Good Luck.

What caliber and specific bullet was it? How long ago? Almost every bullet manufacturer has had bullet failure. I’ve seen a TTSX that didn’t open as well as an accubond. Also a ballistic tips that the tip just falls out.

I’ve had great success with the Berger bullets on many game animals. Sometimes the polishing media gets into the hollow point of the bullet. It’s best to check them and pin drill them out if needed also.

Last edited:
No I did not - pointing them would more than likely make them open up more easily. Mine never opened up at all.

I point the ones that I use for competition. I pointed the first ones that I used on game and got the results that you got. I emailed Berger, they stated that they were having about 2% act like an FMJ and thought they were onto the issue. They asked for the remainder of my box for testing and send a new box of my choice. They also asked if I pointed them. I answered “yes” and they replied that pointing them would cause that problem even in bullets that would have worked. They sent me my new box anyway and assured me that I would be pleased with them. They were correct. I haven’t had a failure since.

Logically I agree with you. I would have expected pointing them to make them open up more easily. Berger implode instead of explode and the pointing them should increase that. My bullets that acted like an FMJ were 168 VLDs purchased in the summer of 2015. I’ve only excellent results since that time. In fact, Monday’s mule deer was double lunged behind the shoulder, between ribs. Didn’t hit a single bone. Dropped in his tracks. He took a few seconds to stop moving, but he dropped in his tracks. That not common with a lung only shot.

Last edited:
I reckon I am, but not necessarily for the reasons you implied...

I shoot the Berger VLD Hunting in most of my rifles.
115gr. In my 257 Roberts (+P), and custom 250 Savage.
140gr. In 7mm-08AI, 280 Rem.
168gr in my 7mm Rem Mag.

Buuuutttttt.....

I also shoot a lot of Hornady, Sierra, and Nosler.

There used to be a time when Gunwerks used solely Berger VLD.
This was before they got with Hornady to develop their 7mm LRM. Since then they signed a contract with Hornady, and are one of the guides to test out Hornady's new bullets and cartridges.

Right now i'm looking at the all copper option with Cutting Edge bullets.
While pricey, they are made locally to me. ( central PA)
I like that they penetrate several inches then 4-8 petals break off, while the base with it's jagged edges continues on.

I point the ones that I use for competition. I pointed the first ones that I used on game and got the results that you got. I emailed Berger, they stated that they were having about 2% act like an FMJ and thought they were onto the issue. They asked for the remainder of my box for testing and send a new box of my choice. They also asked if I pointed them. I answered “yes” and they replied that pointing them would cause that problem even in bullets that would have worked. They sent me my new box anyway and assured me that I would be pleased with them. They were correct. I haven’t had a failure since.

Logically I agree with you. I would have expected pointing them to make them open up more easily. Berger implode instead of explode and the pointing them should increase that. My bullets that acted like an FMJ were 168 VLDs purchased in the summer of 2015. I’ve only excellent results since that time. In fact, Monday’s mule deer was double lunged behind the shoulder, between ribs. Didn’t hit a single bone. Dropped in his tracks. He took a few seconds to stop moving, but he dropped in his tracks. That not common with a lung only shot.

It's very obvious that you know what you are doing. I'm not knocking Berger at all. I have used them (and still do ) since before Berger's name was even mentioned as a hunting bullet. Hopefully Berger has determined what was causing the problem and corrected it. For those of you that think it can't happen because you have had such great success and your last kill was picture perfect - well - just google "Berger bullet failure" and get a big bag of pop corn. And for those of you that say that if you use any bullet long enough you are going to have a failure - I say BS.
The problem bullet for me was also a 168 gr VLD hunting bullet in .284. This was well before your 2015 bullet experience. I will mention that I took many many animals with nothing but stellar performance then I had 2 occasions where animals hit acted in an abnormal reaction - but I had no visual proof other than a pencil hole in both carcasses. I then had a bullet I retrieved from a bull that did not open. Many emails and numerous conversations later I became quite dissatisfied with lack of corrective solutions to the problem.
If you're going to use the Berger I will say that I don't recommend pointing the tips BUT I do recommend that you get something like a pin vice (even a thin paper clip) and check the tips to lake sure they are not plugged clean down to the lead core.

I'e been hunting with Hornady spire point/interlock's for about 45 yrs now and never even one time been disappointed. Tell me why I should change to a bullet I believe to be a match bullet? For predator's and varmints I use either Hornady varmint bullet's or SMK's and again have never been let down! In both case's accuracy is far more than adequate!

My 7mm Rem Mag (the most powerful rifle known to man) really likes the 168 grain VLD Hunting bullets. Have yet to find an animal that was fond of them though.

Tell me why I should change to a bullet I believe to be a match bullet?

Well the obvious would be a far better B.C. With a Berger Delivering more energy to the animal and increasing the effective range. But that brings on a whole different subject and the Clydesdale of deadhorse topics. If what’s your using works for you don’t change it. Nearly every animal I have taken with vlds was inside 300 yards, But it’s nice to be able to reach out if you have to.

And for those of you that say that if you use any bullet long enough you are going to have a failure - I say BS.
Lol Google “any of the other brands bullet failures then grab a bag of popcorn. Everyone loves to blame their odd shot results on the bullet not wanting to analyze all the variables that could of come up or happened once the trigger was pulled. Reminds me of tennis players after a bad hit they always look down at their racket and strings as if that’s what caused the errant shot. The same conversation happens over on the archery sites. Every broadhead has some fans and some haters. I don’t blame you though if I had 2 bad experiences with Bergers as you’ve had I’d move on as well. Puts a bad taste in your mouth for sure

Just started shooting 168 gr. Berger VLDs this year in the new 7mm Rem Mag. Like Lawnboy was saying, I also take lung shots a good bit off the shoulder with these, and so far the Bergers are tack-driving and putting meat in the freezer. Got a pass through at under 50 yards too. So, it's not like they're a grenade or something once they impact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back