Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Brat or kielbasa recipe

mrcowboy

Anyone have a good brat or kielbasa recipe for elk that they would be willing to share? Preparing to process our elk this year and the wife asked if there were different things we could do besides steak and ground meat. Have done snack sticks with javalina. They were great. Maybe try with elk.
Thanks
Mike

I'm a fan of the recipe I found in a book named Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlmand and Brian Polcyn. They used pork shoulder and veal, but it works just as well with venison.

4 lbs venison
1 lb pork back fat
3 tbs kosher salt
2 tsp ground white pepper
1.5 tsp ground ginger
1.5 tsp grated nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 cup heavy whipping cream.

Grind your meat with all the ingredients except the eggs and cream, then mix in the last two until almost a paste, and stuff your casings.

I haven't made Hank Shaw's brat recipe, yet, but I will at some point.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will have to check both out this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving.

We ended up making the H Shaw Andouille and hot Italian recipes. Fantastic! Thanks for the pointers!

I really like this Kielbasa recipe. It works well with a 70/30 mix of elk and pork: https://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2011/08/smoked-kielbasa/

My go to Bratwurst is a Nurnberger-style that uses only 5 ingredients (salt, pepper, mace, nutmeg, marjoram). I'll post the recipe later when I'm home. For what it's worth, I ALWAYS IGNORE the salt quantities for any given recipe. They vary wildly it seems and it's very subjective when it comes down to it. Once you dial in your personal saltiness (i.e. 1 tsp kosher salt per pound, or whatever), you can adapt this ratio to just about any recipe you want. It took me awhile to figure this out.

Nürnberger Bratwurst recipe:

6# elk/pork (70:30ish)
1/2 tsp Ginger
3 tsp coarse black pepper
1/2 tsp mace
7 tsp kosher salt
Stuff into casings. Cook or freeze “fresh”.

Breakfast Sausage Recipe:

2.5 lbs elk/pork
2 tsp sage
2/3 tsp thyme
1.5 tsp coarse black pepper
2.5 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp parsley
2/3 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1/3 tsp nutmeg
Hand mix well, form into patties

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics