PEAX Equipment

My Trip to SE Montana

oldschool.06

This year we made the trek from Crappyfornia all the way to SE MT . The drive was long and very boring for the first half . Then when we got into Idaho we picked up 11 nails in our tires spread out between 2 trucks and 1 trailer . Les Schwab tire in Idaho Falls made short work of the patch's and refused to take payment since we are Les Schwab customers . We forced them to take a Benjamin to buys the guys lunch with as it only seemed right .
After all that we had lunch and hit the road again stopping in Billings for groceries and a good nights sleep. Once we left Billings we made our way to Broadus MT which is always a good feeling as we love the area and the people I really wish I could live there . We filled up the rigs one last time and headed up to the hunting grounds . We always enjoy the ride from town because the road leading up to the hunting grounds is all private on both sides but seems to be holding a million Deer and Pronghorn which is always an exciting sight to see .
Once we got to Deer Camp we spent the rest of the day setting up for 5 days of hunting and debauchery . The first morning is always an exciting one with all the promise of what the day will bring and knowing we will be covering a lot of beautiful country side . I was hunting with a friend first thing in the am and we spotted a group of doe's with 1 decent buck sniffing around them and my friend took what seemed to be a good 98 yard shot at the buck and it didn't even flinch he was sure he hit him but from what I saw I was sure he didn't hit him . We spent the next 4 hours trying to find this buck as he swore up and down it was hit but we couldn't find a single drop of blood and he moved out like he was perfectly healthy . We followed him for what seemed like 4-5 miles and finally after he went over the last ridge top which was just too dang far for a bleeding buck to be going we gave up . At this point we realized we maybe could stand to loose a few lbs. Reluctantly we started making our way out and began to look for more bucks to hunt . The rest of the day was fun we saw a few 3x3's forkys and a ton of does but both of us had the mornings events hanging heavy on our minds. That night after dark we decided we would go back into the same area and try to find him again as we were certain he wasn't hit but just what if he was we had just had to find him . The next morning we drove down to the area we started hiking from and low and behold the damn thing came all the way to the same area and died over night as he was still a little warm in the early am when we found him . We were both grateful to have him hanging in camp as neither of us liked the idea of possibly leaving a wounded Deer in the field like that .
The next few days was much of the same spotting and stalking deer and passing on some forky's. the day before our last day I spotted and stalked a decent buck and lost daylight before I could get a good shot on him which was very disappointing. That night the pressure was mounting. The following day was our last day and I had not tagged out yet and knew my wife was really looking forward to some meat in the freezer so I was feeling the pressure . We headed out to look for the buck from the day before and 30 minutes into the hunt we spotted some does and almost kept waking when I hear my partner whisper "get your gun get your gun" he whispers there's a buck bedded down in the bushes he was just waking up it seemed as the does were stirring and eating and must have woke him up . I got my rifle up and took some deep breaths and waited for him to step out from behind the bush which he did just like you always hope with a perfect broadside shot . He stepped into my cross-hairs like it was a dream I squeezed and he dropped before he could even get out his morning yawn . I was ecstatic he had big body and a decent rack and just absolutely gorgeous . I am a new hunter and I know he wasn't the biggest buck but he was mine and I was and still am really proud of him . I will be heading back to SE MT again as long as I get drawn as I just love the area.2018montanabuck1.jpg2018montanabuck2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry guys I cant seem to get the picture rotated . Its not sideways on my computer i guess my computer illiteracy is catching up to me .

I must have passed yall while there. Did you get caught in that mess of a storm at the Rez?

I must have passed yall while there. Did you get caught in that mess of a storm at the Rez?

I did not get caught in the storm . I was very thankful for that . When I got there it was nice and warm and by the time we left it was freeeezing I feel like we were there for the first real freeze and winter weather change .

Sounds like you had a good hunt. Nice buck.

Great hunt

Congrats on a successful hunt. Great way to have fun and gain more experience. Pretty awesome you guys were able to find that first buck.

Nice looking deer! Sounds like a great trip.

Congratulations, the feeling of satisfaction that comes from working hard to fill a tag is a great thing, enjoy your buck and the meat !

Thank you all for the kind words it was a absolute blast and I'm pretty dang proud of myself . I figure 1 more Buck a little bigger and then its time to graduate to Elk . We are enjoying the heck out of the meat thankfully my wife and kids love it . Unfortunately I think we will use it up quicker then we anticipated . Its looking like I'm gonna have to try for a little Ca buck tag next year to help keep the freezer full or maybe I'll get a pig this spring too .

Congrats, expensive tag but always a fun hunt in Montana. Plenty of room to roam. Again, congrats and thanks for sharing.!!

looks good to me. thanks for sharing

Thanks for the kind words

my wife and i got a couple pigs once....good eating

They sure are ..some folks dont like them but we have no problem at our house either

Wow, awesome job

Thank you

Nice work I love that sense of satisfaction from a hard earned buck.

It wasnt easy thats for sure . thanks for the compliment

Congrats, expensive tag but always a fun hunt in Montana. Plenty of room to roam. Again, congrats and thanks for sharing.!!

You got that right its really expensive but the state is so vast and just absolutely beautiful it makes some of the tag cost worth ..Almost lol Im glad some of you guys enjoyed my little story thank you

SAD HUNTER HERE !!! Didn't hunt last year due to hunting buddy dying from cancer. Didn't get drawn this year. Fingers crossed for the alternates list to produce a return tag for me .

SAD HUNTER HERE !!! Didn't hunt last year due to hunting buddy dying from cancer. Didn't get drawn this year. Fingers crossed for the alternates list to produce a return tag for me .
Sorry to hear that you lost your hunting buddy....cancer is a real bitch.

Good luck with the alternative list tag acquisition. The unsuccessful Outfitter's clients are guaranteed a tag, so may improve your odds.....but then again, this was a record breaking year for applications.

Sorry to hear that . I hope u get out there again . I wouldn’t hold your breath on an alternates list . I bet they don’t do one this year due to the non residents going with outfitters that are guaranteed a tag .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back