CA pigs, Big Sandy Wildlife area in central California

smitty661

Any California guys ever hunt the big sandy wildlife area? its only about 900 acres near camp roberts. I have hunted fort hunter liggett near by before but they have alot of rules and the same areas arent always open. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience at this place chasing pigs. I would imagine it gets a good amount of pressure.

I used to about 20+ years ago. There were quail,turkey,pigs & deer around Camp Roberts including Big Sandy. Like a mini FHL with Mil. Ops. going on & never knowing where you could wind up. It was a quail spot for me mainly.

We hunted those areas back in high school, about 20 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed. We did great for quail at Hunter Ligget, but never shot a pig in any of those areas. My buddy did bring unexploded ordinance back to the truck once to show us a cool thing he found though. We always intended to shoot pigs, but the hunts usually turned to bird hunts with a slug for backup in case we saw a pig. Maybe you could contact some vineyards and ask if they're having pig trouble...

I watched many changes @ FHL & CR over the years. Always had a good time overall if you forget the crowds at times later & blown stalks. Took my biggest boar (350 gutted)@ FHL after filling a stringer of trout, watched the 1st Tule elk released. turkey populations explode along with pigs in 70's, and some great deer hunts. I fished for steelhead & bass,trout & bluegills. Had a couple buddies who were career Guard & would let me know what was going on & get great midweek trips that paid off. Went over the edge of a tank track once in my 1st Toy.4x4 & wound up in the bottom of a canyon,upright ,untouched in brush.....had the firemarshall drive a grader up the canyon to clear the overgrown road the next day & drove home....he always got in the lake free after that...lol.

they closed public hunting on camp roberts a few years ago. FHL still has hunting opportunities but they charge for annual memberships, are only open on the weekends and the open zones change weekly based on activities. Ive seen alot of animals on FHL the year i did try it. Elk, deer, pigs, turkey, coyote, bobcat. I will check out big sandy the next time the family camps over at the coast. Thanks for the replies and im glad you got your truck back Hank!

Hi all, I'm new to pig hunting (lived in TN and duck hunted alot when I was younger), and wanted to start again now that I have young kids. Is Big Sandy a good place to start on public land? I live in Monterey, California, so any suggestions appreciated.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back