Yeti GOBOX Collection

Over the counter late season rifle tags.

Hey guys I’ve not posted too much on here in the past but have been watching from the shadows fir a while now and love this forum. By far the best hunting forum I’ve ever seen. Everyone is so willing and excited to help, teach and learn.
I’m 21 years old and from southern Ohio. My dad took me to Idaho for the first time on a ride mule deer hunt when I was 12 and I’ve been back eight times now since. After the first trip I went back by myself the next four years and would get a ride from a friend from the airport to the mountain pass I hunted, they’d give me a truck and turn me loose for the week. I camped In the mountains alone as scared as I was I was hooked on western hunting. Three years ago I stalked and arrowed a 193” mule deer on public land on a completely diy bow hunt and I’ve killed cow elk two years in a row on diy solo hunts.
I love idaho and I’m planning to move there in a couple years. My question for you all is what state offers the best late season rifle tags. I got for 2 weeks of bow season in September but while I’m young and not married and can afford to do it I’d like to add in a second little bonus hunt every year. I’d like to find a state and some I can buy an over the counter rifle tag and go do a hunt in 5 days. I’ve hunted Colorado and can be there in 24 hours of driving. If anyone has suggestions of a place to look or a zone to research I’d really appreciate the help. I’ve bowhunted zone 81 in Colorado but don’t know much about the ride tags and I’ve spent eight years hunting zone 50 in Idaho. Just looking for another chance to get in the mountains every year. Thanks guys!

How late are you talking? November? If so, I’d say Montana and Colorado are going to be your best bet for OTC elk tags. In Montana, general elk tags aren’t OTC unless you’re a resident, but you’ve got a really good chance to drawevery year as a NR. Idaho also has some late season OTC tags that look interesting. In Oregon our OTC late season tags are pretty tough hunts unless you’ve got some serious local knowledge. I can’t tell you what your “best” option will be, as I don’t think a late season OTC bull tag in any state is going to be a slam dunk. All will probably take years to figure out. The best advice I can give is get a gohunt Insider membership to really simplify your research and find what you’re looking for.

Also, I’d love to see a picture of your big buck. I’ve got a thing for big mule deer. ;)

You can probably buy a cow tag today for unit 3,211 in Colorado and you can hunt till January.I was planning to do the same for my son until some members reminded me how rough the weather could get for his first hunt

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the response man! Good to know. I’ll definitely look into the Montana and Idaho tags, I’d love to hunt Oregon but for a short 5 day hunt I’d like to keep it a little closer, ide be looking at two days of travel to go to Oregon. Yes November/December is what I’m looking for but I know the later I wait the nastier the weather will be, nasty weather in unfamiliar country makes for a tough one but I’m willing to try anything if I can get a tag!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back