EOY - What Equipment Worked, What Didn't?

Worked:

Exo 3500 k2. Very comfortable pack, used it from early august all the way through the end of October and now for small game. I hauled an antelope buck, a muley buck, and half of a bull elk, all with absolutely no back or shoulder fatigue.

Platypus big zip 3L- really helped stay hydrated as I didnt have to stop to drink.

Katadyn hiker with quick connect- easy to refill bladder without removing from bag.

Caribou gear game bags- have used them for 2 seasons now and am very happy with them.

Onx- very useful all around. Used for 2 seasons now.

Barnes bullets- I use 168s in my .308, shot a buck at 30yds and the bullet still held together. 290gr. In my muzzleloader, 2 bulls have been taken with that load with text book bullet performance.

Cascade mtn tech trekking poles- $20 a pair sturdy aluminum. Really helped on steep NV packouts.

Leupold glass- no surprise there.

Havalon piranta- great knife, use it for everything from elk to cottontails.

Magnus Buzzcuts- fly great and terminal performance is outstanding. (Although I will be trying out Bone broadheads next year)

Agc vino harness- very comfortable, carries my 10x50 binos well. Will be adding some sort of suspender system to the back to help keep them riding where I want.

Marmot limelight tent- good all around tent- used from july to Nov.

Klymit sleeping pad- fairly lightweight, high R value and comfortable.

Things to upgrade:

Clothing system- will be running first lite/sitka gear next year.

Sleeping bag- thinking of switching to synthetic quilt. I have a down mummy bag now and sweat enough when I sleep I wake up quite moist in the morning.

Tripod- need to upgrade my tripod, it's heavy and not all that stable.

Spotter- looking at the new line from leupold but not all that crazy about the weight.

Worked:
- 300 wm Ruger #1
- newly-found hunting spots
- White's Boots (again)
Didn't Work:
- my wife and her pack horses when it was time to pack elk!

Affirmatives:
- Honda Ridgeline. Okay on moderate 4wd road, excellent on everything milder. Plus, XM.
- Core4 Element and old Sitka Ascent clothing. Breathable in the heat. Thin polypro base layer, light Lorpen sox.
- Kodiak tent. Improvement over previous generic wall tent in interior space, ease of set-up.
- CO leftover license reissue system. Picked up a good ML tag, 0 points used. Found a new spot.
- Costco trekking poles. Kept me on the mountain for 2 days after hamstring pull and I was able to call in a bull (cow tag).
- Wapiti River diaphragm calls.
- Retirement=scheduling flexibility.

Less-than-affirmatives:

- Propane tent heater, effectiveness unknown, too damn hot to test it in the tent.
- That hammy.
- Consumer Cellular, no service in mildly remote areas where ATT works.

Kifaru gun bearer worked excellent and is an awesome product.

EXO 5500 pack worked fantastic but need to use it more to get used to how to haul meat with it. Should have more practice next year.

Timberland hiking boots did not fare well and fell apart after only 2 seasons. I tried to save money on the fair weather hiking boots but will get a pair of schnees next.

Kifaru Reckoning Pack:
I packed my first elk, along with 2 mule deer and 1 antelope this year. It is setup exactly the way I like it making it a second nature tool.

Garmin Mini- Worked great on hunts in AK, CO, and WY. Was really nice to be able to give my wife daily updates in AK and to give her my exact location when I had a bull down.

What worked-

Cuvitru- Over the last five years I've missed probably 25-40% of my planned days to hunt due to health. This year I was able to hunt 100% of the days I had planned, and I absolutely contribute it to this medication. A complete life changer for me and I'm incredibly thankful for it.

Toyota FJ Cruiser- I've wanted one of these since they were first introduced, and my first fall in one was great. Absolutely can't get it stuck, and it makes me smile whenever I get back at the end of a hunt.

Idaho General deer tag- I was able to spend 12 days across this great state over three months, exploring some of the coolest wilderness areas and ecosystems in the lower 48. Looking forward to coming back.

Road hunting with Dad- Some great days spent drinking coffee and putting around the woods with dad this year, listening to old stories I've heard 100 times.

Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 28- Very useful for my type of hunting. If they made it in a tri-zip it'd be perfect.

What didn't work-

Weather in the Missouri River breaks- Mud, cold, mud, rain, mud, heat, mud, snow, mud, and wind. I'm not sure why I continue to get my ass kicked by that country.

My shooting abilities- I never wounded an animal this year, but I missed twice and turned one kill in to a rodeo that shouldn't have been. I need to get a lot more practice in field positions.

Had ALL of my stuff stolen in 2017 while headed to Montana for a rifle elk hunt - so I've spent the past year trying a bunch of new gear. I basically acquired a zero interest credit card with an 18 month grace period and bought/tried everything and anything I always wanted to try. With an insurance check in my bank account, it was a good ending to a rather crappy experience.

Positives:

Sitka Gear clothing: Its the real deal. I wore alot of Kuiu in the past but decided to give Sitka a try. I have the official Randy Newberg uniform - Timberline pants, Jetstream jkt, Kelvin lite hoody. My favorite piece is the Core Heavyweight hoody.

Crispi boots: Ended up with 3 pairs of the dang things - Wyoming, Guide, Wild Rock. I live next to the Smokys and wear the Wyoming alot. Crispi's fit my feet perfectly.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf/Pintler: I had a Kifaru Reckoning before I donated it to some poor yute in Kansas City. I was alls et to buy another Kifaru when the MR came up on Camofire for a stupid price. I tried the MR. I find the MR to be off equal comfort to the Kifaru. Packed out my elk this fall with the Pintler (was in day hunt mode) and it worked well. On the last trip I decided I wasn't having enough fun so packed both a hind and a front. It was surprisingly doable.

Lekki trekking poles: Started using this years ago for hiking but never took them hunting. Packing out meat without trekking poles ain't gonna happen again for me.

NightForce SHV: Bought one for my Kimber Montana 308 to try. Love the scope and am buying another. They weigh a bit but adding 6-8 oz to a really light rifle didn't change any of the handling characteristics of the rifle.

308 win: I bought a Kimber 308 3-4 years ago and used it for my deer hunting. After donating my 308 in KC, I bought another. Was a bit leery of using it on elk but after using it, realized I was being silly. A 180 Sierra Game King does ugly things to elk lungs. Especially when the bull cooperates and shows up at 50 feet. Suffice to say, cartridge and bullet worked as advertised. The elk didn't care for it.

OnXmaps: probably selling my Garmin Montana. I used the OnX way more than my GPS. I really like the aerial imagery and the ability to go offline with the OnX. Winner.

Randy's podcast: I'm not much of a social media/podcast guy. In fact, never listened to one until this fall. I took a new assignment and found myself driving 3 hours one way a couple times a week. I've listened to most of his podcasts and all of the newer elktalk with Corey. I've learned a few things but mostly it has helped the time pass while driving. He, Marcus, and Michael have way too much fun.

Synthetic base layers: I've been a merino wool guy for years. I've also been cold and clammy for most of those years on my back country hunts. Sitka and First Lite base layers have changed the clammy part - significantly. I still wear merino when I'm WT hunting from stationary positions (r.e. treestands) but synthetic for everything else. I'm buying John Barklow's base layer theories.

Kodiak canvas tents: I've been using these for the past 10 or so years. They are smaller than most canvas wall tents but the advantage is how easy they are to put up and their solid construction. I have 2 10x12 and an 8x8. They work well for 2-3 people. I use one to sleep, one to eat. If I'm alone, I just take one or the other and use it for sleeping and dining.

Not up to par

MSR waterfilter: I've had the same miniworks for 10-12 years. I'm tired of the pumping arrangement and will be looking at the bag type filters.

Binoculars: My 12 year old Minox need upgraded. Trying to decide Leica Noctivid or Swaro EL, leaning Swaro at the moment but need to save my nickels for a few months.

Had ALL of my stuff stolen in 2017 while headed to Montana for a rifle elk hunt - so I've spent the past year trying a bunch of new gear. I basically acquired a zero interest credit card with an 18 month grace period and bought/tried everything and anything I always wanted to try. With an insurance check in my bank account, it was a good ending to a rather crappy experience.

Positives:

Sitka Gear clothing: Its the real deal. I wore alot of Kuiu in the past but decided to give Sitka a try. I have the official Randy Newberg uniform - Timberline pants, Jetstream jkt, Kelvin lite hoody. My favorite piece is the Core Heavyweight hoody.

Crispi boots: Ended up with 3 pairs of the dang things - Wyoming, Guide, Wild Rock. I live next to the Smokys and wear the Wyoming alot. Crispi's fit my feet perfectly.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf/Pintler: I had a Kifaru Reckoning before I donated it to some poor yute in Kansas City. I was alls et to buy another Kifaru when the MR came up on Camofire for a stupid price. I tried the MR. I find the MR to be off equal comfort to the Kifaru. Packed out my elk this fall with the Pintler (was in day hunt mode) and it worked well. On the last trip I decided I wasn't having enough fun so packed both a hind and a front. It was surprisingly doable.

Lekki trekking poles: Started using this years ago for hiking but never took them hunting. Packing out meat without trekking poles ain't gonna happen again for me.

NightForce SHV: Bought one for my Kimber Montana 308 to try. Love the scope and am buying another. They weigh a bit but adding 6-8 oz to a really light rifle didn't change any of the handling characteristics of the rifle.

308 win: I bought a Kimber 308 3-4 years ago and used it for my deer hunting. After donating my 308 in KC, I bought another. Was a bit leery of using it on elk but after using it, realized I was being silly. A 180 Sierra Game King does ugly things to elk lungs. Especially when the bull cooperates and shows up at 50 feet. Suffice to say, cartridge and bullet worked as advertised. The elk didn't care for it.

OnXmaps: probably selling my Garmin Montana. I used the OnX way more than my GPS. I really like the aerial imagery and the ability to go offline with the OnX. Winner.

Randy's podcast: I'm not much of a social media/podcast guy. In fact, never listened to one until this fall. I took a new assignment and found myself driving 3 hours one way a couple times a week. I've listened to most of his podcasts and all of the newer elktalk with Corey. I've learned a few things but mostly it has helped the time pass while driving. He, Marcus, and Michael have way too much fun.

Synthetic base layers: I've been a merino wool guy for years. I've also been cold and clammy for most of those years on my back country hunts. Sitka and First Lite base layers have changed the clammy part - significantly. I still wear merino when I'm WT hunting from stationary positions (r.e. treestands) but synthetic for everything else. I'm buying John Barklow's base layer theories.

Kodiak canvas tents: I've been using these for the past 10 or so years. They are smaller than most canvas wall tents but the advantage is how easy they are to put up and their solid construction. I have 2 10x12 and an 8x8. They work well for 2-3 people. I use one to sleep, one to eat. If I'm alone, I just take one or the other and use it for sleeping and dining.

Not up to par

MSR waterfilter: I've had the same miniworks for 10-12 years. I'm tired of the pumping arrangement and will be looking at the bag type filters.

Binoculars: My 12 year old Minox need upgraded. Trying to decide Leica Noctivid or Swaro EL, leaning Swaro at the moment but need to save my nickels for a few months.
bwinters?? A guy on another site from TN that goes by that name had his stuff stolen in KC last year. Didn't know if you are the one and the same?

I didn't do as much hunting for myself this year as I've done in the past, but to agree with the OP;
Worked:
1. Federal Prairie Storm 20ga 3" #5s. These work very well on pheasants when lead is allowed.
2. Havalon Piranta is a great bird/small game knife. Best I've ever used. Works well on big game too.
3. Caldwell Fieldpod. I use one of these in a ground blind with the boys, great piece of gear for hunting with kids.
4. Federal Fusion 243 Win 95gr ammo. Stuff works GREAT on whitetails.

Could use improvement:
1. Digital mapping options of public lands in Iowa. The website is great, but would like to see an interface that shows you on the map.
2. My clothing setup. I'm further behind the times on clothing materials than I'd like.
3. Starting a house remodel project during hunting season...

Worked:
1.) Homebrew cuben fiber dyneema tent. A floor-less pyramid with stakes and guy lines weighs only 15.13 oz. It was sweet.
2.) Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots. I usually hunt with trail runner shoes but theses were bullet proof and my feet have never felt so good.
3.) Vortex Kaibab 20x binos. I'll take binos every day over a spotting scope. I struggle with the single eye viewing.

Didn't Work:
1.) Rangefinder. Would hardly give accurate readings with a single blade of grass in the way. New one is in-route as we speak :)
2.) Truck tires. Less than two months old and popped one on the side of the mountain. Threw on the spare and went straight to town for a new and much improved set of off-roads.
3.) The ol' Remington Model 700, 300 win mag is a tank to haul in the backcountry. Will make for a fun project this upcoming offseason.

Worked
1. Kenetrek Mountain Extremes: they fit my feet perfectly out of the box. I will never buy a different boot ever again.
2. MR Pintlar: Perfect size and carries a heavy load well.
3. Kifaru gun bearer: I am disappointed it took me so long to get one.
4. Trekking poles: I bought the ones sold at costco and they worked great until I used them to push down on one too many fences. Oops.
5. Barnes Vor-tx 80 grain .243 ammo: Worked on my elk and deer. Will be switching over completely to this stuff.
6. Leupold VX3i: way nicer than my vortex scope was. Will be putting one on my new rifle next spring.

Worked:

Mystery Ranch Pintler - it was my first year with it and I love it. Ended up adding a Kifaru Gunbearer which worked well for me (due to my knees I dont hike much without trekking poles so the Gunbearer was a great addition).

RMEF/Alps Outdoors bino harness - I liked it for the money but an eventual upgrade to a AGC harness is in order.

Howa 1500 .270 - Its looks like I have dragged it behind an ATV in a gravel quarry but she keeps shooting straight and killing critters so no changes needed here. Topped her with the mid-level Vortex 3-9x scope. It also looks like hell but keeps working.

Kenai chest holster - I wish I had found this FIRST when I started trying to figure out how to carry my pistol while wearing my backpack. Would have been enough money saved to get the AGC bino harness I want. lol.

Looks promising:
SlumberJack tarp - didnt get much use out of it so far this year but have a big section hike of the Arizon Trail with the wife coming up this spring so I expect it will get a lot of use there.

Mystery Ranch Mule - I got this item on this week after attempting to use my Pintler as a day pack while tree stand and ground blind hunting in Arkansas. Even cinched down it is too big for my use everyday - it worked great the day we tossed in a bunch of tools and burlap and made repairs though. The Mule is on the frame now and looks very promising.

Taurus Tracker .44 mag matte stainless with 4.5" barrel - after the change to Hogue grip I have my new outdoor carry pistol. At some point a RMR might get added but the factory sights are working well for now.

-Brian

Worked: Voormi wool pullover - seems tougher than a lot of wool, snow kinda' beaded up on it, little pricey. Kenetrek Boots - after irritating initial leak problem, solved by good customer service, these boots have been my go to's for non snow conditions. Had 'em a few years now and have grown to like 'em a lot after the early disappointment. BHA Public Land Owner sweatshirt. Had about a dozen strangers ask me where to get one - effective way to get out and spread message.
Didn't work: First Lite wool pants and pullover. Given normal hunting abuse, only three seasons on both and they are a wreck. Loose seams, tears, fraying. Customer service was not great....
I will give another pair of pants a try, hope it's not a case of fool me twice....

Last edited:
Worked: Voormi wool pullover -.

I have mixed feelings about Voormi, I like that they manufacture in the US and I think there products are high quality.... but they source their wool from the sheep flocks that are coming into contact with Bighorn herds in the San Juans.

They literally have the highly contentions flocks + sheep dogs from this thread on their homepage...https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...nd-aggressive-sheep-dogs&highlight=sheep+dogs

https://voormi.com/pages/about-voormi

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back