Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Arkansas Wilderness Hunt 2018

JTHOMP

Spent last week hunting a couple wilderness areas within the Ouchita Mountains of Arkansas. This place is amazing. While I know it is not as big of country as out west, being able to be 2 to 3 miles from the truck was a new and enjoyable experience. At least it was until the walk back to the truck was up hill the whole way.

Within the first two hours of scouting I bumped a really nice buck. After running off he TURNED AROUND and came back, but I couldn't get a clear shot on him. I thought then this hunt would be an easy one...I didn't see another deer four days. My main reason for hunting here was to kill a bear. It wasn't until day 5 of the hunt I found bear scat, and was so happy you would have thought I had actually seen a bear. Saw plenty of deer sign and noticed a few patterns, but the buck I saw on the first day was the closest I came to killing one. I became acquainted one of the forest service workers while up there, and from talking with him it had been a terrible year for acorns. In all of my scouting I only found a few post oak acorns here and there. Hopefully next year will be a better year for acorns, and I think that will make the deer and bears more patternable.

Bringing meat back from this hunt would've been great, but the experience of it all was everything I wanted. Learned a lot more about maps and having to navigate around terrain, learn a new area of woods that I can hit the ground running next year, and how to better prepare myself for it. Since being a part of the forum I have been dreaming about going out west. But after experiencing these areas for a week, I think I'll enjoy a couple more hunts here before making the jump west. I feel that there is a lot more left to learn and accomplish before I go elsewhere.

Road Side Pull Off.jpg

Dry Creek Overlook.jpg

Dry Creek.jpg

Mt Road.jpg

Camp.jpg

Dry Creek Drain 1.jpg

Dry Creek Drain 2.jpg

Solo Stone.jpg

Stone Valley.jpg

Selfie Stone.jpg

Buck Walk.jpg

Prefall.jpg

Slate Edge.jpg

Slate Edge 2.jpg

Slate Fall 1.jpg

Slate Fall 2.jpg

Public.jpg

As great as much of the scenery was, this is probably one my favorite finds. A reminder of the role that politics plays in our wild places. This one being a very positive one.
Stone.jpg

Yeah ... Thanks for posting.

It is always great to see what other parts of the country has to offer. We often take for granted what we have and have no idea what other treasurers are out there. Very neat looking terrain, trees, and geological features.

Cool hunt. We do some trout fishing in Arky. Don’t overlook some of the NWRs in your home State. You can get 2-3 miles from the truck there, also.

Looks like some beautiful country. When the acorn crops fail the deer vacate those places same way here. Good crop year can be excellent.

Great post! There are a lot of parts of this country that don't get celebrated because they don't have the mystique of the west, but are just as special and beautiful in their own way. I always scratch my head when I meet people from back east that hunt CO, MT, ID, or AK but have never taken a crack at the wilderness in there back yard, even if it's just to camp.

"I think I'll enjoy a couple more hunts here before making the jump west. I feel that there is a lot more left to learn and accomplish before I go elsewhere."
^ Love this

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back