Rifle for the Wife

I'll give another vote for the Browning XBolt Micro Midas in 7mm-08. My wife really likes hers and has taken Whitetails and elk with it.

You're going to get a gazillion different answers posting a question like that. Here's my recommendation. Since you're talking about rifles in the Ruger American/Howa 1500 range, I'd actually take a look at a Savage Axis. They're pretty darn accurate in my experience.

And this is entirely personal preference, but I'd go with a 7mm-08 or a .270 over the 6.5 creed. Why? They're not big kickers and are better on game at standard hunting distances (there, I said it). If you're primarily interested in shooting gongs at 700yds, with deer on the side, the 6.5 is the gun. If you want to hunt a larger variety of medium-big game as a focus, with ringing gongs as a secondary activity, look at something else. 7-08 and .270 are tried and true game getters without upper torso abuse. Or a .308. I have a good friend whose petite little wife shoots a 30-06.

Anyway, like I said, throwing in a lot of opinion here. I understand the ballistic efficiency of the 6.5CM but that doesn't necessarily translate to the best hunting round.

You're going to get a gazillion different answers posting a question like that. Here's my recommendation. Since you're talking about rifles in the Ruger American/Howa 1500 range, I'd actually take a look at a Savage Axis. They're pretty darn accurate in my experience.

I've owned and shot them all. In order of my personal preference: Savage 10/110 and Howa 1500/weatherby vanguard s2 are tied as best of this batch - as good as a hunter really needs, Ruger American and Savage Axis 2 with acutrigger are tied for second tier - tack drivers but not a smooth as the first two, Savage Axis without acutrigger is a NO-Buy due to horrible trigger even for a budget rifle. YMMV.

But, it's not what YOU like. It's what your wife likes!
And more specifically, what is comfortable to her.

Believe me, been there, done that!

And this is entirely personal preference, but I'd go with a 7mm-08 or a .270 over the 6.5 creed. Why? They're not big kickers and are better on game at standard hunting distances (there, I said it). If you're primarily interested in shooting gongs at 700yds, with deer on the side, the 6.5 is the gun. If you want to hunt a larger variety of medium-big game as a focus, with ringing gongs as a secondary activity, look at something else. 7-08 and .270 are tried and true game getters without upper torso abuse. Or a .308. I have a good friend whose petite little wife shoots a 30-06.

Anyway, like I said, throwing in a lot of opinion here. I understand the ballistic efficiency of the 6.5CM but that doesn't necessarily translate to the best hunting round.

7mm-08 or 270. Not big kicker's and better on game? Where did you get that from? The 270 will have more recoil. Then the 7mm-08 should come in next due to heavier bullet's. You can only make something so dead! To claim one has objectionable recoil would be foolish. Some people think the 270 is a pussy cat, other's will frown on it. Pretty sure for all I hear about the 7mm-08, the same could be said and ditto the 6.5 Creedmoor. Bothersome recoil is pretty much a personal thing! Some people handle it well, other don't! No doubt in my mind I'd start with the Creedmoor over the other two. 130gr bullet or even 120 gr bullet is gonna recoil less than an appropriate weight bullet in the other two. Not knowing what game is on the list, I think the best answer will be the 243. Hard to get less recoil than that in a hunting cartridge that is more than up to the job at hand!

I am lucky, such that at trade shows I get to shoot just about every brand of rifle made. I get to talk hunting rifles with some experts whose opinions we all read in popular hunting/shooting magazines. Triggers are often the first point of discussion with those writers, and since they aren't sponsored by any company, when not "on the record" they have some pretty strong opinions, some good and some bad, about certain rifles.

There have been some models listed here that have very bad triggers. In my experience, trigger quality is one of the greatest struggles new shooters have with there consistency; with consistency equating to accuracy. When dropping down to smaller cartridges, as I think is being considered here, accuracy needs to be given no compromise and thus I would focus closely on the trigger quality of any lower priced rifle.

Personally, for the hunting I see out west, it would be hard to beat a 7mm-.08 when weighing all the factors considered in this thread. I have four of them. They all shoot lights out, no matter what ammo I feed them. The short action allows to save a little weight and provide better balance for a shooter of smaller stature.

If you made me pick one rifle from my safe of dozens and use only that for all my hunting, I would probably lose sleep over my choice between the 7mm-08 and the .308 Win (of which I have five). If forced to make that decision for someone who is not my size of 6' 2" and 210#, it would be a no-brainer; 7mm-.08. And yes, I own two 6.5 CM, a .257 Weatherby Mag, and pretty much every cartridge from a .22-250 to a .300 Win Mag. I would pick the 7mm-.08 above all those others I own.

Back to the trigger discussion, I would suggest you go to a retailer and ask to hold and dry fire every rifle you are considering. From that, determine what trigger feels best. I have a pretty good idea of what those results would provide.

I would suggest help guide her in the cartridge decision, but let her decide what fits her best. As mentioned, a trigger can make all the difference in the world, especially in a light rifle. I have found when starting my kids and other new shooters that muzzle blast from shorter barrels effects them as much or more than recoil.

I always hear about the importance of trigger's. What I never read about is learning trigger control. Amazing how well some rifle's with junk trigger's shoot when the shooter control's the trigger. The old Savage 110 pretty much set the standard for accuracy,,,,with a junk trigger. That said I do like a 3# trigger but my favorite is an old military two stage on an 03 Springfield worked over by Paul Jaeger in 1945. Best trigger I own!

Fin is right. I know for me personally, I cannot tolerate a poor trigger in any rifle. In fact a few years ago I went to the gun store with my heart set on buying a particular rifle. When I realized that the trigger on it was junk, I immediately changed my mind and bought another brand with a better trigger. I have an old muzzleloader with a terrible trigger and I can't shoot that rifle to save my life. Sure you can train yourself trigger control on a heavy trigger, but I prefer something that's a little more forgiving.

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I took everyone's opinions into consideration and happened to find a deal on a rifle that met my requirements. Ended up ordering a Howa 1500 Youth in 7mm-08 for $300. Looking forward to getting it setup and developing a load for 140 grain Accubonds. Anyone have any recommendations on what powders to try?

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I took everyone's opinions into consideration and happened to find a deal on a rifle that met my requirements. Ended up ordering a Howa 1500 Youth in 7mm-08 for $300. Looking forward to getting it setup and developing a load for 140 grain Accubonds. Anyone have any recommendations on what powders to try?

Varget is a common starting place for 7mm08. H4895 and H4350 are also decent choices. H4895 also allows for reduced recoil rounds if that is something you are looking for.

6.5 Creed is a great option. Nothing wrong with a .270 either though. You can shoot 130s faster than a Creedmoor with only slightly more recoil(in since the long action weighs a few ounces more it’ll be about the same recoil) and if you feel the need for more bullet weight on a larger animal, you can go all the way up to 170gr in the 270. Still, the Creed will probably have the edge for accurate factory ammo.

Don’t want to spend that much money on a gun that’s just for your wife? I barrow my wife’s .243 plenty. It’s one of my favorite guns. What’s mine is her’s and what’s her’s is mine. The money comes out of the same budget and the guns go into the same closet when we get home. Sure, if she’s coming she gets her .243 if she wants it because it’s her’s, but it’s not like it’s off limits.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with a .243 for a first time shooter/ hunter. I bought my gf her first rifle this year - a Savage 11 in .243. One of the things that actually made me think it was a good choice for her was the fact that it required the least amount of effort to lift the bolt handle up after pulling the trigger when compared to the x-bolts, remingtons and T.C's etc. Something like that (fumbling with the bolt) is actually a challenge for alot of new shooters I have noticed.
Also, the thumb safety on the Savage is very large, noticeable and easy to manipulate. My gf always had to ask where the safety was on my other rifles and sometimes forgot where they were or how they worked. Sounds strange, but she had never really shot or hunted before meeting me ;) With the Savage, it was very straight forward and easy for her.
I also spent the extra $100 and ordered a youth stock through Savage for her since the youth version is tough to find, even on gunbroker.
She did ultimately end up shooting her first deer just 2 weeks ago with it and loves her rifle. Pretty sure I made a new hunter :)

Glad your firearm search is decided.

Varget sets the course for match shooters, along with RL15.
For hunting loads with a 140gr. bullet i'd start with the 4350s, H414, RL16, RL17.
The powder that worked best for me has been Alliant Power Pro 2000.

Varget is a common starting place for 7mm08. H4895 and H4350 are also decent choices. H4895 also allows for reduced recoil rounds if that is something you are looking for.

I think you made a great choice, for what it's worth. 7-08 is a terrific cartridge.

I have had good results with 140grn Accubonds, 139grn Interlock BTSP's, and 140grn Federal TBT's, using Varget and H4895. I could get some pretty high velocities with H4350, but accuracy was consistently terrible. That was just my experience.

I feel I should walk that last statement back a little. Using H4350 with Accubonds and Interlocks I was able to get groups of about 1.5". Not really "terrible" by a lot of standards, especially considering they were some of my first hand loads. I was looking for better and got better accuracy with both Varget and H4895.

Glad your firearm search is decided.

Varget sets the course for match shooters, along with RL15.
For hunting loads with a 140gr. bullet i'd start with the 4350s, H414, RL16, RL17.
The powder that worked best for me has been Alliant Power Pro 2000.

I use RL17 in my 300 WSM so I have some of that on hand. I guess I'll start out with that and see if I like how it performs. Would be nice to stick to one type of powder across both platforms...

I use RL17 in my 300 WSM so I have some of that on hand. I guess I'll start out with that and see if I like how it performs. Would be nice to stick to one type of powder across both platforms...

I currently use RL17 in both 300 wsm and 7mm-08. It is handy to use one powder for both.

I currently use RL17 in both 300 wsm and 7mm-08. It is handy to use one powder for both.

What bullets are you shooting out of the 7mm-08? I'm planning on 140 gr Accubonds. I've been searching around the internet for min and max loads for RL17, but haven't had any luck. Since it's similar to IMR 4350, would it be wise to use Nosler's book values for the 4350?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back