Another Roosevelt Down !!!! It’s Dads Day !!!!!

Little Big Man MT Chris

Today was the second day of the 7 day Oregon Coast Range 2nd season Rifle hunt for Roosevelt Elk , had to work Saturday and was able to go out in the woods on sunday today ,with my dad who is 76 , and some of his friends, after an uneventful morning and trucks and people everywhere today , we went different directions, I had my dad drive to an end of the road clearcut, that I had went to earlier in the summer with my bow buddy John , he took me to a place in the woods behind the clearcut I didn’t know about that had some small meadows at the end of a grass road but you had to take old Elk Trails through a few hundred yards of thick vegetation of 10 to 20 yds visibility to get to the grass road that goes to the bottom medows, earlier in the summer when I was in there with my friend John we talked about how during the middle of the day in rifle elk season , these small meadows would be a good place to sneak into , the elk might come here to avoid pressure, so today I took my dad in there at midday and by a miracle it worked . As we came out of the woods we crossed through and took the elk trail down to the grass road , I looked at dad and said were here , go slow and look !

To our right you could start to see small openings and pockets , taking a quick scan and seeing nothing we take a few more steps and then , I grab my dad’s coat , he looks at me , ELK , I whisper , we where hidden in the shadows behind some fir trees but there in the meadow looking our way was the black shadow of and elk head and ears looking right our direction , pull up the binos , BULL , I’m pointing in its direction, dad is squatting down looking then standing and looking, I can’t see it, he’s say ,It’s right there, I point , shoot it , he still can’t see it though the branches hiding us from the bulls sight , but I know he hears us on some lvl , i push dad to a branch I pick out , set up here and shoot it , oooh !!i see it , as he starts to get the bull in his scope , he says , is it legal ??? I reply something to the effect of hell yes it a big Ol Branch bull, shoot it !!!! CLICK !!! as I’m watching the bull through my binos , i peek at dad standing in front of me , his bolt is up , he’s mumbling something in creative language as he locks in the bolt , I look at the bull , BOOM !!! Bull drops where it stood ! At this point I’m in shock, disbelief and excitement all rolled in to one , I look at dad, ya got him , he’s a great bull !!!

As we drop off the grass road into the meadows and work to the bull it was between 80 to 90 yds max from us , we get to him we see he is a big , wide 4x4 with a broken main above his 3rd , we figured he broke it fighting during the rut, we were a little disappointed but we also liked the unique quality it brought to this bull. Also his eyeball is hanging out and dad goes , I hit him in the eye , a head shot , as I look at him and say where where you aiming??? The bull was standing broadside to us the whole time !!!! dad replies he was ? All I saw was head and neck so i put the cross hairs on the head at the antlers and just dropped down a little, shaking my head in disbelief as i think to myself 1. this bull never ran away with all our bumbling around on the grass road and 2. my dad made the hardest shot possible, oh boy are we LUCKY, I look at dad and he replies with a twinkle in his eye , hey I just didn’t want to waste any meat as he shrugs , laughing I hug him , and we celebrated , some of the crew came out , and we where able to get him out whole on a game cart up the grass road to a different logging gate to load him . Today it was just meant to be , I spotted that bull within 15 seconds of dropping on the grass road and between the noise of me trying to communicate that bulls location to my dad and him not being able to see it was broadside and going head shots , as Randy has said on some of his hunts , WHAT A RODEO !!! this was a hunt I will never forget and always cherish, at 76 , time is more precious than ever . Here’s pics of our afternoon,

0F7747D1-231B-4DDF-9CED-0FA8D4E7364E.jpeg4C142623-6D49-44C8-A737-E6A796ADD875.jpgD96E2A4E-4195-475F-B210-DDE81560451F.jpg7FF6FED6-78B9-477D-A2C3-4153BB06B18E.jpg26778F8E-D4AA-4330-A396-A636F491888C.jpg35894FE9-324A-4C36-BF23-8B5CDB58B415.jpegBCC3C2E6-EC1C-46A0-B47F-A9476632B6C7.jpeg58F60B2B-5904-4AF5-8BAE-873AA5B23CD2.jpeg0EDFC3FB-9545-40E0-9A54-2293D6EA93CF.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had those same conversations with my Dad trying to get him to see a deer. There won’t be to many more years of it, cherish them. Congrats!

Congratulations that is awesome. Tell us a little about that game cart, that's something there.

I don’t know if it’s a homemade or store bought, its a friends cart, it’s a 3 wheel device, it was my 1st time using it , was very easy to maneuver and operate with a long swivel Handel in the front , to get the elk in the cart , we laid the cart on it’s side slid it side rail under the elk body , till it was in the basket as far as we could get it , then a few of us pulled the top rail towards us while the other lifted the legs and that cart flipped back on its wheels quite easily, it’s rolls very light across the ground, we had to go up hill on the old road for half the pull out and it worked easy, with the 2 long push handles off the back , 5 guys on the cart was easy , 2 or 3 would have been harder but doable . I’m thankful for friends that have sweet gear !!! We hunt near a small town in NW Oregon and one our hunting crew lives there so even if he’s not available, the game cart and winch are centrally located there, so anyone can go get it if needed. This pic shows my hand on of the back Handels

96A02DB9-6DEC-4E72-9E52-FF95BF498BD2.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely fantastic man congratulations to you both what an incredible experience to share w/ your dad that’s just awesome!

Once again, congratulations Chris! You've got it dialed. I've got to come see how you guys get these giants out whole sometime.

Absolutely fantastic man congratulations to you both what an incredible experience to share w/ your dad that’s just awesome!

Yes it is I’m speechless today , just smiles , this bull means so much more than the Roosevelt I got last Sunday 1st season Rifle , and this bull will probably be one of my favorites, regardless of what I accomplish in the future as a Roosevelt hunter , dad will be 77 in less than 2 months , in my heart I know this might be his last bull ,

Yes it is I’m speechless today , just smiles , this bull means so much more than the Roosevelt I got last Sunday 1st season Rifle , and this bull will probably be one of my favorites, regardless of what I accomplish in the future as a Roosevelt hunter , dad will be 77 in less than 2 months , in my heart I know this might be his last bull ,

If he's like me it won't be. He has lot's of years left. Think positive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back