Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Picking a Colorado unit ?

PAGOAT

I am trying to decide on a unit for first rifle next year. I am looking at 62 and 70 and just had a few questions. I like the odds in 70 better at 50% and I can hunt either sex. But it looks like most of the elk are in the east side of the unit that is checker board to say the least. I'm thinking that a lot of elk in the hunter success odds are coming off private land ? So then 62 has a decent success at 19% with a lot of public land. I hear about how many people are in that unit but first rifle I think I should be able to get away from them. If anyone has any thoughts on what unit would be better, or has hunted either I'd like to hear about it. Pm or here would be great. Thanks everyone.

3 of my friends hunted first season in 62 this year.They went 0 for 3, but 2 of them had chances at bulls.One guy missed and other couldn't get a shot off in time.They didn't say the pressure was bad.But, I think a few other 1-2point units may be a little better if you can wait.If not,go for 62 and look for areas other hunters would not want to pack an elk out of

Both are crowded, both have good populations of elk, both will have refuge type situations on private land. I wouldn't trust the success rates CPW publishes for reasons you listed and others. 62 has alot of roads/atv trails, but better trophy potential. 70 has a wilderness area. Pick your poison, it can be done in either. 62 has some nasty canyons with oak brush. Oak brush is your friend. Oak brush is not your friend.

I wouldn't put any faith in success rates. Locals around here don't tell the truth to keep the rate down. It can also be pumped up too.

Finding elk is much more than looking at stats.

I actually have 2 points and was leaning towards 66 first season but my dad mentioned about going with me. So I'm basically throwing away my points but I can get more of those. Not sure how many more seasons I'll hunt with dad. I told him I need to know soon what he's doing, if he is not going then it'll change where to go.

Im also leaning towards 66, have 2 points. Sounds like only 3 trailheads in the whole unit? Im wondering if its too rugged to manage without packstock? Hunted MT, average 3-5mi from the trailheads with no problem really.

Ok, ill check those as well.
My goals for colorado- hunt area full of aspens, 1st rifle season, kill 1st legal bull I find within 4-5 miles of truck. Been in an awwwful dry spell.

Back