Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Nevada late muzzleloader hunt

T Bone

The seclusion and remoteness of Nevada is intoxicating. My love affair with the Silver State has been renewed.

I set up camp and started hunting low, expecting to find rutting deer. I found zero.

I tightened up the laces and went high.

I dropped my camera in the rocks and broke it....so all I have are my crummy phone pics.

Sheep. More sheep.

attachment.php
Deer. More deer. Rutting bucks.

Way too many of these

attachment.php

Found a few of these in ambush spots

attachment.php

Found a lone burro that followed me around like a dog.

You know what I didn't find?

Not a single other person. Nobody. The whole place was mine.

I was seeing enough deer to keep it interesting. 3-4 mature bucks a day. Every one of them pushing does. They were all right at the tops of the mountains in the sheep country.

Of particular interest was a big typical 4x4 that was the boss of a herd of about 20. They were in an un-stalkable location. I kept tabs on them for most of a day and then they moved down off the peak they called home. I made my move and found myself perched 160 yards above a bedded buck.

He never stood up.

attachment.php

I walked down to him. He did not disappoint.

A nice big 4. Big body frame, but a bit on the skinny side. His teeth were mostly gone. I'm not sure he would have cleared the winter.

attachment.php

Last edited:
For those that care about such things, the 250 grain Thor bullet entered at the base of the neck and was under the hide mid-body.

attachment.php

The pack out was long and full of side hilling through the rocks and cliffs, but as my last hunt of the year, I soaked it up.

attachment.php

Thanks drawing my name again NV. I do hope to be back soon.

Thanks for the report T, and congrats! I'm going to have to do that hunt one of these days....

Very nice Buck.Congratulations.250 gr. Wow thatl' stopem.If their done taking a dirt nap.:cool:

Absolutely awesome. You have (since the ID sheep and goats adventures) .and continue to motivate me. A class act in very way! Well done as usual..

Great stuff. Your story reminds me how much I enjoy the solitude Nevada hunting provides. Congrats on a great buck.

Man that sounds like a fun hunt. I especially like the not seeing other people thing. Beautiful buck too. Congratulations!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back