Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Steven Rinella on Joe Rogan Podcast

You're right, I bet he looked great dressed as an Indian women because his team lost. There, he's not "discounted" after all. He's in that picture somewhere, that's the "hunt" he participated in.

So wait that’s the part of the hunt that gets you all hot and bothered? Not the 80 tags that go to them in hard to draw areas?

I agree it’s a stupid tradition. But the tags are what should be bothering you...

The One Shot is weird for sure, but Rinella is a damn good dude with whom I would share a hunting camp in a heartbeat.

Steve's a very intelligent dude.

I wish him and Adam Greentree could drag Rogan out on more public land hunts though.

I would love to see these guys hunt some easy to draw public land units as well. So many are either going the easy route on private or gaining private access to inaccessible public and forgetting to mention that part it seems.

What would Rogan do when there were 4 trucks at the trail head and he had to compete with other hunters. That would be fun to watch.

I would love to see these guys hunt some easy to draw public land units.

Rogan and Cam or Rinella... I don’t think any hunt Rinella has done other than the Tok sheep, have been in a hard to dry unit and only a couple were on private, the vast majority are on public and easy to draw.

On the other hand I don’t think Rogan has hunted public he didn’t access via plane or a long boat ride.

So wait that’s the part of the hunt that gets you all hot and bothered? Not the 80 tags that go to them in hard to draw areas?

I agree it’s a stupid tradition. But the tags are what should be bothering you...

Ha ha! Buzz, would you mind taking this one for me?

Ha ha! Buzz, would you mind taking this one for me?

Sure...

Icebreaker,

I think you should listen to the podcast that Jeff and I did with Randy on the one shot.

I can assure you, Jeff is well aware of the problem of set aside tags, including the ones being set aside by the one shot. To go into some details specific to the tag allocation, there are only 24 tags being used in the competition, the other 56 are being used for a "past shooters" club. Further, as far as we have been able to find, these tags are the only tags issued via rules of a club/organization. There is also the issue of these tags having to be taken into account during season setting and taking away tags from both R and NR sportsmen in very coveted pronghorn areas.

That's just the tip of the iceberg on what is wrong with the event...it would take a about 30 minutes of typing to cover them all, and I don't type that slow.

All I have to say, is that other high profile people in the hunting world have turned down the invitation to participate in this event. As Jeff and I have talked about in the past, when you've been alive on planet earth for 50-60+ years, its pretty easy to tell when something is right, and when its not.

As to the reference that Mead hunted in this hunt too...yeah, he did. So did GF Director Talbott. The easy thing to do is go along to get along. True leadership, IMO, is much more difficult (and rare), when you have the courage to take a stand against something that clearly isn't right, even if its a long standing "tradition".

Doing the wrong thing over and over again because of tradition...doesn't make it right, ever.

That doesn’t make him or anyone else that participated a bad person. Gov Mead participated and he has done immense good for Wyoming’s wildlife and people. Do I care that he was in the one shot hunt enough to negate all the good he has done? No, I could care less frankly as there are far bigger issues to be concerned with. Should it be changed? Probably but you can’t discount someone based upon just that.

Tell that to Jim Zumbo...

Rogan has a ton of credibility to the public at large who are not hunters. I don't understand the quick to dismiss attitude of that guy. How many other "celebrities" secretly pursue game, then sneak home hoping the world never knows? Without Rogan there is no meateater podcast. And between those two, how folks have either joined our ranks, or at least found that hunters aren't the stereotype they care portrayed to be. Where he hunts, IMO isn't nearly as important as HE HUNTS, and doesn't back away, doesn't hide.

The intent of me posting this thread was to share a link to a podcast where the host (4 million subscribers) has an audience who is mainly not in the hunting community, that happens to be a hunter, who had a guest (Rinella), and they had a very informative 2 hour conversation about hunting, putting hunting in a very positive light. Heck, I couldn't have said it better, or to a larger audience. So far, that podcast has had over 825,000 views. They discussed the "issues" that non-hunters, or fence riders, worry about with hunting and dispelled alot of those myths. It was a very good conversation and I thought everyone here would enjoy listening to it, but evidently, I was incorrect.
This can be a hard crowd!

Rogan and Cam or Rinella... I don’t think any hunt Rinella has done other than the Tok sheep, have been in a hard to dry unit and only a couple were on private, the vast majority are on public and easy to draw.

On the other hand I don’t think Rogan has hunted public he didn’t access via plane or a long boat ride.

You edited the answer out of your quote.

What would Rogan do when there were 4 trucks at the trail head and he had to compete with other hunters. That would be fun to watch.

You edited the answer out of your quote.

Lol my bad... and to your point, I think Rogan really needs to get skunked due to competition. At various points his bias in this regard has bled through in various comments. It's not that he is an elist or a jerk, in fact he seems to be one of those people who is willing to change an opinion when presented with a cogent argument, but I don't think has been confronted by competition when hunting.
facepalm.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back