Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Steven Rinella on Joe Rogan Podcast

So wait that’s the part of the hunt that gets you all hot and bothered? Not the 80 tags that go to them in hard to draw areas?

I agree it’s a stupid tradition. But the tags are what should be bothering you...

Yes and I sincerely hope the sportsmen and sportswomen of Colorado are far more focused on ballot box biology which has done considerably more harm in their state in addition to Washington, Oregon, California, and almost Montana than the fact that lickenpooper participated in the one shot hunt, but maybe my compass is off.

Steve discussed the hunt with Mead in Episode 20 back in October of 2015. By 2017 he should have had plenty of time to process what it was he was getting into.
I'd be interested to hear his justification for joining the club. Sure seems like an elitist type deal to me.

I like the Rogan podcasts with Steve, but then I seem to like about any of the Podcasts when they have Steve as a guest.

It can be a tough crowd here at times. Anyone that doesn’t think Rinella and Rogan are not doing our sporting passion 10x more help than harm are missing something imho.

I don’t agree with anyone 100% of the time and if that is your litmus test...jeezz

I listen to Rogan,many interesting guests talking about endless topics so you can pick & choose.
I also listen to meateater since Rinella started.

Gee, they are both are famous themselves & get to hunt with the well known hunters in places most would just dream about.....draw, private, other country, raffle...who knows. No different than most.
It's Rogan & Rinellas in depth discussions that get more info out.
Randy's do the same with the in depth discussion of the topic.

Actually that is a fact... Rogan was the one who convinced him to do it/got it started.

You're right, Rogan was the first one to suggest they start a podcast, although the Meateater guys seem far too media savvy to not jump onto the podcasting bandwagon sooner or later on their own...

Last edited:
Rogan and Cam or Rinella... I don’t think any hunt Rinella has done other than the Tok sheep, have been in a hard to dry unit and only a couple were on private, the vast majority are on public and easy to draw.

On the other hand I don’t think Rogan has hunted public he didn’t access via plane or a long boat ride.
He hunted archery deer with Rinella in Nevada via truck. IIRC the Meateater episode that was on did not involve either of them getting a deer. FWIW...

But yes, I agree, that Rogan's perspective is biased by the access to access he has via his celebrity and money.

Rogan and Cam or Rinella... I don’t think any hunt Rinella has done other than the Tok sheep, have been in a hard to dry unit and only a couple were on private, the vast majority are on public and easy to draw.

Off the top of my head- Gila elk, Kentucky Elk, SE Washington elk, Afognak elk, Musk Ox.

Has anyone written Steve about this yet? It is incredibly disappointing to see him involved with the hunt.

your only as good as your last ball game with some of you guys.

Interesting observation.
Joe Blow hunter decides to make his fun his business, and his business becomes the public's business.
How many times have we seen once-average/unknown-now-reknown hunter fall from grace over this or that. Darner, Zumbo, countless outdoor TV host types.
When Leopold talked about hunters having no audience for his/her activities..... Well an audience is the new normal.
Tough business.
No thanks.

your only as good as your last ball game with some of you guys.

Ain't that the truth.

Perhaps Steve had a reason for going on the hunt other than to just shoot an antelope? He is a hunter and a journalist as well, and has made a career out of dipping his feet in many aspects of the hunting world most folks will never experience, including having conversations with unpopular politicians and non/anti-hunters. Knee-jerk reaction has always served the hunting industry well though, carry on...

Off the top of my head- Gila elk, Kentucky Elk, SE Washington elk, Afognak elk, Musk Ox.

Has anyone written Steve about this yet? It is incredibly disappointing to see him involved with the hunt.

Fair point, although with the exception of Kentucky and SE Washington, I think a non-resident as a fair chance of drawing all of the hunts Steve goes on in their lifetime. You are correct though some are hard to draw, or prohibitively expensive to a lot of folks, that being said the premium tags are balanced with lots of OTC hunts in the 62 episodes of Meateater and 8 of wild within there are only maybe 7 or so 10% that I don't think I would ever be able to make happen. I think my point was more that if you are a passionate hunter and play the game you can hunt where Steve does, same thing with Randy. Which is what makes there shows relatable.

On the other hand Joe Rogan and Cam seem, my knowledge of all there hunts is limited, to mostly go on private land high dollar hunts... on a 90/10 ratio rather than 10/90.

Looks like Cody Lujan, a first lite prostaffer, participated as well would be interested to see what both of them were thinking. Kinda wonder if they saw it more as an opportunity to network with some powerful individuals, not that that makes it better or worse in my mind.

Interesting observation.
Joe Blow hunter decides to make his fun his business, and his business becomes the public's business.
How many times have we seen once-average/unknown-now-reknown hunter fall from grace over this or that. Darner, Zumbo, countless outdoor TV host types.
When Leopold talked about hunters having no audience for his/her activities..... Well an audience is the new normal.
Tough business.
No thanks.

I'd say that comparing Steve to any of the TV hosts that have taken a dive is a huge stretch. He took part in a hunt that is legal (I'm not saying it's right or ethical) and committed no crimes. His audience is huge and it's definitely not on the downhill.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back