MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Steven Rinella on Joe Rogan Podcast

Zumbo, one example, committed no crime(s). He merely spoke his mind. The infraction is in the eyes of the beholder with things such as this.
Ethics:rolleyes::D

Fair point, although with the exception of Kentucky and SE Washington, I think a non-resident as a fair chance of drawing all of the hunts Steve goes on in their lifetime. You are correct though some are hard to draw, or prohibitively expensive to a lot of folks, that being said the premium tags are balanced with lots of OTC hunts in the 62 episodes of Meateater and 8 of wild within there are only maybe 7 or so 10% that I don't think I would ever be able to make happen. I think my point was more that if you are a passionate hunter and play the game you can hunt where Steve does, same thing with Randy. Which is what makes there shows relatable.

On the other hand Joe Rogan and Cam seem, my knowledge of all there hunts is limited, to mostly go on private land high dollar hunts... on a 90/10 ratio rather than 10/90.

Looks like Cody Lujan, a first lite prostaffer, participated as well would be interested to see what both of them were thinking. Kinda wonder if they saw it more as an opportunity to network with some powerful individuals, not that that makes it better or worse in my mind.

Cam grew up backpack hunting the wilderness. He has put himself in the position to go on these high dollar hunts by promoting himself and getting out and hunting. I don't fault him for hunting private. He has the opportunity to do that because of his self promotion and the image he has built for himself. If he wants to hunt private then that's his choice.

Rogan can do whatever he wants when it comes to hunting. He has the biggest podcast available and has a pile of money. He may not be the most educated guy when it comes to hunting, but he is 100% a good thing for hunting. His audience is a lot of non hunters and him portraying hunting in a positive light is good for the sport.

This forum has a lot of very educated people, but we need to realize that the majority of hunters don't even know about issues like the One Shot hunt. Steve is very educated and when he speaks people listen. The OneShot hunt is a bad look for Steve, but very few people even know it exists let alone hold it against him.

Zumbo, one example, committed no crime(s). He merely spoke his mind. The infraction is in the eyes of the beholder with things such as this.
Ethics:rolleyes::D

Zumbo was largely ostracized by the firearms industry, not the consumers of his product. Point taken though.

Usually seems the opposite, lots of personalities/industry types didn't break ties with the Wildgame Innovations D-bag when he took his foray into poaching.

Cam grew up backpack hunting the wilderness. He has put himself in the position to go on these high dollar hunts by promoting himself and getting out and hunting. I don't fault him for hunting private. He has the opportunity to do that because of his self promotion and the image he has built for himself. If he wants to hunt private then that's his choice.

Rogan can do whatever he wants when it comes to hunting. He has the biggest podcast available and has a pile of money. He may not be the most educated guy when it comes to hunting, but he is 100% a good thing for hunting. His audience is a lot of non hunters and him portraying hunting in a positive light is good for the sport.

This forum has a lot of very educated people, but we need to realize that the majority of hunters don't even know about issues like the One Shot hunt. Steve is very educated and when he speaks people listen. The OneShot hunt is a bad look for Steve, but very few people even know it exists let alone hold it against him.

Agree.

Rinella seems like a very balanced guy, and I would really like to hear his take on his participation with that event.

For the record, Steve's participation in that hunt hasn't tarnished my opinion of him or what he does, and I made that clear in the email I sent. I hold him in very high esteem for a number of reasons. There had to be some reason to participate in the One Shot, something that I can't see or understand at this moment. But I am sure it was thoughtfully considered and will most likely make a lot of sense once explained. May not be enough or valid for some people, but life is a series of complicated choices and sometimes there's no great decision to be made.

For the record, Steve's participation in that hunt hasn't tarnished my opinion of him or what he does, and I made that clear in the email I sent. I hold him in very high esteem for a number of reasons. There had to be some reason to participate in the One Shot, something that I can't see or understand at this moment. But I am sure it was thoughtfully considered and will most likely make a lot of sense once explained. May not be enough or valid for some people, but life is a series of complicated choices and sometimes there's no great decision to be made.

Yes, I too would have to thoughtfully consider participating in a hunt event that requires I be guided, won't allow shooting sticks or bipods, excludes women, holds stag events, has a closing event for the losing team where they identify as Indian women and takes away 80 antelope licenses, in hard to draw areas, from hunters like those on this forum.

Yes, I too would have to thoughtfully consider participating in a hunt event that requires I be guided, won't allow shooting sticks or bipods, excludes women, holds stag events, has a closing event for the losing team where they identify as Indian women and takes away 80 antelope licenses, in hard to draw areas, from hunters like those on this forum.

Yeesh. Alright. I guess I forgot just how bad it was. Well it will be interesting to hear what he has to say if he speaks on it.

Last edited:

It serves to benefit the wealthy, influential, and powerful. Rinella is two of those. Thats why he participated. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that is all there is to it. He did it because he can.

It serves to benefit the wealthy, influential, and powerful. Rinella is two of those. Thats why he participated. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that is all there is to it. He did it because he can.

I just don't know about this. Obviously I don't know the guy from Adam, but Steve has never seemed like the kind of guy you described above. Hopefully I'm right because, thus far, he has been a very solid hunting ambassador.

I know some people that certainly qualify as 2 of those, and probably 3 depending on your definition of wealthy, and they took a pass on the invite.

To be fair, the one shot website shows past participants to include representatives from Weatherby, Ruger, Cabelas, and Coors. Shall we extend the witch hunt to include them?

https://oneshotantelopehunt.com/notable-shooters/

Maybe, depends on if the participants are told ahead of time just exactly what goes on.

I suspect many aren't really told the whole story until after they show up. There's probably a reason why a lot of the notable "shooters" are "one and done".

To be fair, the one shot website shows past participants to include representatives from Weatherby, Ruger, Cabelas, and Coors. Shall we extend the witch hunt to include them?

https://oneshotantelopehunt.com/notable-shooters/

I'll turn your question around.
Just because these participants are "representatives" of Weatherby, Ruger, Cabelas, and Coors - they shouldn't be included in this "witch hunt"? Titans of the industry.........................
Nice choice of buzz phrase, by the way:rolleyes:

If people like Rinella listened to every random self-proclaimed local expert that warned them about something, they'd probably be afraid to get out of bed. I'll be curious to see if he participates again, but my sense is he (and probably a good number of other past participants) didn't recognize the depth of weirdness with this event prior to showing up. There would need to be a few more skeletons falling from his closet for my assessment of him to change.

The event website cover photo:
79th-Annual-One-Shot-Antelope-Hunt.jpg
Note the 79'th annual part. Obviously, plenty of prior knowledge of this event existed - self proclaimed local expert opinions needn't play a part....
No real dog in this fight - but it is an interesting "sportsmens/womens" related topic, given the popularity of the hunting spokesperson - see how it all pans out..........

No one says much about farm hunts in east either....
Good thing I'm not more than "infamous",the celebrity thing must be crushing.
Carry on!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back