Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 127
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    10,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madtom View Post
    To be fair, the one shot website shows past participants to include representatives from Weatherby, Ruger, Cabelas, and Coors. Shall we extend the witch hunt to include them?

    https://oneshotantelopehunt.com/notable-shooters/
    Maybe, depends on if the participants are told ahead of time just exactly what goes on.

    I suspect many aren't really told the whole story until after they show up. There's probably a reason why a lot of the notable "shooters" are "one and done".
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

    "They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gallatin Valley, MT
    Posts
    2,024
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madtom View Post
    To be fair, the one shot website shows past participants to include representatives from Weatherby, Ruger, Cabelas, and Coors. Shall we extend the witch hunt to include them?

    https://oneshotantelopehunt.com/notable-shooters/
    I'll turn your question around.
    Just because these participants are "representatives" of Weatherby, Ruger, Cabelas, and Coors - they shouldn't be included in this "witch hunt"? Titans of the industry.........................
    Nice choice of buzz phrase, by the way

  3. #78

    Default

    If people like Rinella listened to every random self-proclaimed local expert that warned them about something, they'd probably be afraid to get out of bed. I'll be curious to see if he participates again, but my sense is he (and probably a good number of other past participants) didn't recognize the depth of weirdness with this event prior to showing up. There would need to be a few more skeletons falling from his closet for my assessment of him to change.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gallatin Valley, MT
    Posts
    2,024
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The event website cover photo:
    Name:  79th-Annual-One-Shot-Antelope-Hunt.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  41.5 KB
    Note the 79'th annual part. Obviously, plenty of prior knowledge of this event existed - self proclaimed local expert opinions needn't play a part....
    No real dog in this fight - but it is an interesting "sportsmens/womens" related topic, given the popularity of the hunting spokesperson - see how it all pans out..........

  5. #80

    Default

    No one says much about farm hunts in east either....
    Good thing I'm not more than "infamous",the celebrity thing must be crushing.
    Carry on!

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gallatin Valley, MT
    Posts
    2,024
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hank4elk View Post
    No one says much about farm hunts in east either....
    It's the "East" - no one cares
    Name:  lord-i-apologize-for-that-one-there-and-please-be-with-all-the-starving-pygmies-down-there-in-ne.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  169.0 KB

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hank4elk View Post
    No one says much about farm hunts in east either....
    You mean when he hunts the Duran farm in Wisconsin? What's to be said about that one...

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Danbury, Wisconsin
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wllm1313 View Post
    You mean when he hunts the Duran farm in Wisconsin? What's to be said about that one...
    Not sure there is anything to be said about that. It is not taking tags away from other hunters and it does not appear to have any weird racial traditions that the one shot appears to have. I personally do not live or hunt in farm country, but if you have a problem with that then you are going to be kicking a lot of hunters out of the boat. It is no different than hunting mule deer on a private ranch, roosters in farm country, etc.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gem Lake, Minnesota
    Posts
    3,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madtom View Post
    If people like Rinella listened to every random self-proclaimed local expert that warned them about something, they'd probably be afraid to get out of bed. I'll be curious to see if he participates again, but my sense is he (and probably a good number of other past participants) didn't recognize the depth of weirdness with this event prior to showing up. There would need to be a few more skeletons falling from his closet for my assessment of him to change.
    FWIW, he didn’t participate in 2018.
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

  10. #85

    Default

    I feel bad that I'm dragging Rinella through the mud on this, but out of curiosity I emailed Meateater today asking about his participation in the hunt, and received this very brief reply-

    Randy,
    Thanks for reaching out. Steve participated two years ago because the event raises a bunch of money for wildlife conservation. He chose not to participate this year.
    Happy hunting,
    The MeatEater crew
    It doesn't sound to me like he's interested in justifying himself on this, and it's a pretty disappointing response to what I thought was a thoughtful inquiry.

    This also shouldn't overshadow the fact that the Lander One-Shot is the problem, not one person participating in it.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Western Montana
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    That is kind of a bummer Randy. Probably not interested in justifying himself because it wouldn't work out that well. Based on what I have heard him say in his podcast and on his show, he really admires Matt Mead as a politician - maybe it was an invite he didn't feel he should turn down. Who knows. I suppose conjecture is a waste of effort and you're right that the problem is the event itself.


    I can't help but think that if something like the Lander One-Shot were happening in Montana there would be a lot more outrage. Maybe due to the abundance of pronghorn in Wyoming.
    “It is well to go all out sometimes.” - Elers Koch

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    10,370

    Default

    Randy11,

    That's all great, it raises money for water for wildlife and that's a real easy thing for Steven to say. I bet he hasn't researched the fact that, at the time he hunted, more than half of the water projects were done in States other than Wyoming. Nice that a Wyoming public resource is being used to raise money for "wildlife" water projects in Texas, Oklahoma, California, Colorado, etc. etc. and even South Africa. Maybe it would be great if those States/countries receiving the benefit of our wildlife hosted the one shot hunt in their state and gave up 80 of their pronghorn tags...

    I also think Nameless Range hit the nail on the head, that either Mead or his policy advisors extended a personal invite and he felt obligated.

    That's fine, but its still pretty lame to not do some research before you accept an invitation, in particular when you were aware of the problems and had time to bail. It would also be nice if we had a Governor that had the stones to push back on this mess of a hunt too. That may be asking for a bit too much, considering Mead also broke his MOU with the WGBLC and gave away a Governors sheep tag and Governors elk tag outside the agreement. Fun times at the expense of the publics wildlife.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

    "They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
    I feel bad that I'm dragging Rinella through the mud on this, but out of curiosity I emailed Meateater today asking about his participation in the hunt, and received this very brief reply-



    It doesn't sound to me like he's interested in justifying himself on this, and it's a pretty disappointing response to what I thought was a thoughtful inquiry.

    This also shouldn't overshadow the fact that the Lander One-Shot is the problem, not one person participating in it.
    One year is all you need to do to be a part of the past shooters club which is where the real gravy is.

  14. #89

    Default

    lol wow, thats not the kind of thing I would have expected Rinella to be a part of. Considering how much he dogs on "grand slams" and stuff of that nature, I'm surprised he would want to participate in a tournament. I just fired off some e-mails to MeatEater and First Lite. Kind of disappointing. I'll keep watching MeatEater and listening to the podcast cause I think Rinella is great. Not sure I'll be too keen on buying any First Lite stuff if they duck my e-mail.

  15. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool.06 View Post
    I love Steve Rinella hes always pretty spot on . I haven yet to read any of his books but Its on my list of to do's
    His books are pretty good overall, particularly Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cusine, but I found American Buffalo somewhat irritating. I was actually wishing I hadn't read that book, it started out great and I was pulled in pretty quickly. But I was later finding myself irritated. Rinella, being the ambassador that he is and speaking on behalf if public lands and ethics, talks about how he intentionally trespasses because of difficult access into his hunt area. I get that it was years ago and we all mess up, but he knew exactly what it was doing and it tainted my view of him. I'm sure hes a solid guy and he does wonders for the hunting community, but I just found myself disappointed in him after reading that.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kbbond View Post
    His books are pretty good overall, particularly Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cusine, but I found American Buffalo somewhat irritating. I was actually wishing I hadn't read that book, it started out great and I was pulled in pretty quickly. But I was later finding myself irritated. Rinella, being the ambassador that he is and speaking on behalf if public lands and ethics, talks about how he intentionally trespasses because of difficult access into his hunt area. I get that it was years ago and we all mess up, but he knew exactly what it was doing and it tainted my view of him. I'm sure hes a solid guy and he does wonders for the hunting community, but I just found myself disappointed in him after reading that.
    I liked the book overall but sometimes found myself wanting to skip some of the historical or research parts of the book to get back into the hunting portion.

    I can't seem to remember the trespass part that you're talking about, but I'm thinking it's about staying below the high water mark of the rivers on the way in or out? Can you clarify?
    Do more with what you've been given.

  17. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajricketts View Post
    I liked the book overall but sometimes found myself wanting to skip some of the historical or research parts of the book to get back into the hunting portion.

    I can't seem to remember the trespass part that you're talking about, but I'm thinking it's about staying below the high water mark of the rivers on the way in or out? Can you clarify?
    He has one section where I remember him saying that he and his brother had to take cover under some brush so they wouldnt be seen by an airplane overhead because he knew they were trespassing (outside the high water mark) and specifically, in chapter 9, he writes "To get there, I have to cut through a couple of miles of land owned by Ahtna, Inc., or else go all the way back to the mouth of the chetaslina and follow the river up. This presents an unsavory dilemma, because I hate looking at the same ground twice even more than I hate trespassing." And he ultimately decides to trespass the couple of miles. I get it's a tough spot and all, but in my hunter ed classes, I always teach to youth that it is never okay to trespass unless its life or death, so I just felt disappointed in someone I looked up to. Not that he did it once, he did it several times in the book and I just couldn't find a reason why that was okay.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Sedalia, Colorado
    Posts
    919

    Default

    I was hoping the discussion here had turned into something interesting. But 4 pages of nitpicking and still going? How petty...

  19. #94

    Default

    Coming soon, Rinella, Prince of Poachers part 2.

    It's interesting seeing how differently people respond to a Texan poaching vs someone the hunting community respects(used to respect) like Rinella.

    I wonder if the blond haired bearded hunting guy/gal with big hooters has ever taken a pic with Rinella.

  20. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieHunter View Post
    Coming soon, Rinella, Prince of Poachers part 2.

    It's interesting seeing how differently people respond to a Texan poaching vs someone the hunting community respects(used to respect) like Rinella.

    I wonder if the blond haired bearded hunting guy/gal with big hooters has ever taken a pic with Rinella.
    So you are calling Rinella a poacher? Please explain.

  21. #96

    Default

    Some of the responses in this thread are troubling to say the least. I don't know how anyone expects to preserve hunting by turning around and eating their own at the first chance they get. The outright jealously and resentment that I see sometimes in the hunting community disgusts me.

    The character assassination of someone due to their lack of pure adherence to a certain ideology is more in keeping with Stalin's Russia than Roosevelt's America.

  22. #97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LWC55 View Post
    So you are calling Rinella a poacher? Please explain.
    See post #90 and #92. It sounds like he has admitted to purposely trespassing while hunting according to those posters. How do you view that type of behavior?

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gallatin Valley, MT
    Posts
    2,024
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by North Country View Post
    Some of the responses in this thread are troubling to say the least. I don't know how anyone expects to preserve hunting by turning around and eating their own at the first chance they get. The outright jealously and resentment that I see sometimes in the hunting community disgusts me.

    The character assassination of someone due to their lack of pure adherence to a certain ideology is more in keeping with Stalin's Russia than Roosevelt's America.
    It's the diverse opinions, formed by hunters from diverse backgrounds (on here), that make this site interesting, IMO.
    Would you rather have a place where everyone speaks the exact same language? Sounds like Stalin's Russia to me.
    I don't know how anyone expects to preserve hunting by condoning everything we do just because we are hunters.
    I have as much interest, no matter how irritated I am by them, in viewpoints different from mine as I do with folks I agree with.

    Maybe censorship is the answer...……...

  24. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieHunter View Post
    See post #90 and #92. It sounds like he has admitted to purposely trespassing while hunting according to those posters. How do you view that type of behavior?
    I read the book and don't remember this at all. I am not sure if I still have my copy lying around home maybe I need to read it again.

    I didn't grow up perfect and I am not by any means perfect still. Growing up I did stuff hunting and fishing that I am not proud of. These days I realize how special hunting/fishing is to me. If I was to get a ticket these days it would be pure ignorance. I appreciate it so much and love doing it with my kids that I don't cut corners anymore anyway.

    I think Steven is the same. He has mentioned multiple times in his books that he did stupid shit as a kid. I don't think he ever asked for forgiveness or has ever said it was ok. I think he basically called himself an asshole for doing some of the stuff he has done. I appreciate the honesty. Very few people didn't do dumb shit when they were kids, very few people have never sped or intentionally broke a law.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    MT —> AZ
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuketheDog View Post
    I was hoping the discussion here had turned into something interesting. But 4 pages of nitpicking and still going? How petty...
    That ain’t shit.
    Check this out. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/gene...ml#post1094468

    Pack a lunch.
    “To me, if you don’t eat it, then it’s not a point of pride”. -Matt Rinella

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •