MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

7mm-08 140 E-tips RL16

MThuntr

A few of you asked that I track my data for new load development in my 7mm-08 and RL16. Reloder 16 is Alliant's temperature stable answer to 4350. A handful of people have suggested that RL16 can yield some inconsistent results so I was a bit concerned. Yesterday we had a rare calm day so I got things loaded up and hit the range. Conditions were partly cloudy, calm to slight wind from the south, Temp 28 degrees.

Rifle: Rem 700 CDL, 24" fluted barrel, Timney Trigger, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 (scope used for my load development)
Load Specs: New Hornady Brass, Federal 210 primer, 140 E-tip, COAL 2.75", Alliant RL16 loads from 45-49.5 grains. 49.5 grains is literally the entire case full to the top and the bullet makes for some interesting crunching sounds.

All loads yielded 1 MOA or better at 100 yards and SDs of less than 16.6 (most less than 10). It's obvious that consistency is not an issue with this combination. I got slight primer cratering at 47 grains but no other signs of pressure. One load gave me an excellent results. 48 grains gave me an 3 shot group of about 0.3MOA with an average velocity of 2828fps and SD of 5.5.

TgtGfx.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that! Re 16 is proving to be a good powder for the Creed, also. These new powders are really making their mark. I tried it a bit in my Creed and it works well, but did not do a lot of experimenting.

that was my initial intent and with single digit SDs it may very well be a thing as soon as I'm done with the 8lbs of H4350 I have on hand.

Big Game is still pretty high on my list for powders to try but at this point it would only be to push things a touch faster.

RL16 was alittle slow for me and I didn't like how compressed it was. I picked up about 100fps by switching to Big Game.

Nice shooting! I've been working with the 140 e tip in my 7mm-08 too. It hated Big Game, so I'm about to try H 4895. If I don't get any joy, I'll have enough bullets to try one more powder. I have some Varget, but am somewhat tempted by the RL 16 now...

I've gotten some pretty good results in my 7-08 using H4895 pushing 140 Accubonds and Federal TBT's. I'd have to look up the data but it was a bit zippier than I expected. So far I haven't been able to beat Varget yet in that rifle. I haven't tried Big Game yet but I do have a pound of it on the shelf.

Thanks for the write up Mthuntr!

My setup was different from yours, but mirror in accuracy and velocity fairly close.
Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI, 22" barrel.

While i didn't use mono bullets, yet. The slight increase in case capacity offset my shorter barrel.
King of speed for me was RL17 at 2,916 for a 140gr. Ballistic Tip. That had reasonable case fill that i felt no need to crimp. RL16 with it's very compressed case fill i crimped. Was getting bullet push out otherwise.

H414, Power Pro2000 were the next best powders speedwise. (2,836 fps)
With PP2000 the winner in ES(7) and SD(2) over 10 shots.

Cutting Edge Bullets is local to me (30 miles) and in talking with them ( some really nice people that really know what they are doing) i think i'm going to try some of their bullets. (Being local, prices are much better picking them up at the factory vs shipping).
Going to try some of their 135gr ER Raptor, 145gr MTH, and 152gr Maximus.

Will keep you posted on my results.

Ok, back from the range.
33 degrees f.
Snow showers. Wind 5-15 mph gusting 30-35 out of the WNW.
Hey, it's not always sunshine and rainbows when your out hunting.
140gr Ballistic Tip with the "temp sensitive" RL17.
zero at 200 yards.
According to my notes, load testing done at 84 degrees f.

200 yards was .5" low. 400 yards was 1.5" low.

I'm ok with that!

I don't have a "range bag". I use an old fishing tackle box that was sitting in the bed of the truck to the range.
Then let it sit out while i shot my 284 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, and 280 Rem.
(No, i don't see a patern, why? )
So they sat out for close to 90 minutes.

Back