PEAX Equipment

NC Public Land Buck

genesis273

Hunted public land (NC) yesterday. I grunted, he came out of a thicket looking, and I shot him.
For NC public, this is a really good buck.

Around here, you drag a deer to your truck on public land, since ATVs aren't allowed, because, well, that's what you do. I was a mile back in a thicket/swamp. No, says I! I just "happened" to have my Kafaru pack in the truck! And I was the odd ball walking out effortlessly, with a light 70+/- lb load?:rolleyes:. I've learned alot of tricks to make my life a little easier from elk hunting!

IMG_20181116_092513718.jpg

Last edited:
Dandy buck! I did the same thing last year. I think most people assumed it was illegal and gave me an odd look.

Congratulations

Nice old buck. Looks like all the rain we've had has pushed them up on higher ground.

Today's the opener for rifle in my zone; had all intentions of being in the woods right now but my achilles tendon is playing up so I'll go sit this afternoon.

That’s a cool pic with that swamp in the background .quartering and packing in Illinois will get you some strang looks here also .

Nice buck. I miss hunting NC. Wish I would have had a pack back in those days. You earned every oz. of venison dragging it back to the truck.

Great buck, congrats!

I just packed out my first deer here in NC last night. Game lands doe came in at 4:15 and by 6:30 I dropped my pack in the car. All I had to do once I got home was drop the quarters into the cooler. Other than killing one very close to the car, I'll never drag one again. Of course, I don't have a fancy pack, I just use a molle frame/hip belt/shoulder straps with a small bag. Worked perfectly last night.

Very nicely done!! Here in VA, if someone saw you packing a deer out, they'd think you were hiding something illegal...

Back