Bobcats in Colorado

Pagosa

Since I’m currently working in SE WY this winter, and WY doesn’t allow MT residents to bobcat hunt in WY, I’m looking at attempting to bobcat hunt in northern Colorado this winter. License prices are good and I have seen multiple bobcats along the western slope, but have never spent much time looking for cat sign in northern Colorado. I’m primarily looking to hunt the northern end of the Laramie Range (unit 19/191) in Colorado. Does anyone know about road access around Red Feather Lakes area or other spots worth checking out close to the Wyoming border? If anyone has any interest in joining me on hunts I can take one person along, as long as they don’t talk bad about my hounds and they are willing to walk. Thanks for any help. Preston

I know absolutely nothing about Bobcats, but you might also look into the Cherokee state wildlife area.

Thanks, that was one area I was looking at hunting. I think they close the roads, which would make it difficult to locate tracks, but I assume the adjacent FS roads are open.

You can come up and access that area from the Laramie side on Highway 230 and highway 10 at Woodslanding.
You can hunt bobcats in Wyoming unless your state does not allow it. It is the fur bearers license and expensive for out of staters. One good bobcat would pay for the furbearers license though.
Some good spots in Wyoming, of you go that route, with good public access and cats. I can point you in the right direction up here around Laramie.

I went up the Red Feather Lakes early this morning and was surprised by the high volumes of vehicle traffic. I would see 5-10 cars/truck in a row and few seconds later another convoy. I was not going to chance hunting my two hounds any where close to the road, so I decided to hunt the Elkhorn Trailhead area and spotted older bobcat tracks, but the dogs couldn't see them. We walked out two box canyons and went back to the truck. By the time I reached the main forest service road the traffic was a steady stream of vehicles, like in the hundreds, its was crazy. I soon found out it was Christmas tree cutting weekend in Colorado. Traffic was backed up for over a mile on Manhattan road. It made me realize how blessed I am to live in Montana.
We then went to Deadman's Gulch and drove the road until we reach the forest circus gate and proceeded to walk for a couple miles, only seeing one fresh coyote, older moose/elk/deer and lots of fresh hare/rabbit tracks, which is promising. But having the main road shutdown greatly restricts hunting areas, and limits finding fresh tracks. Overall, it was a beautiful day and the dogs hunted hard, but we just couldn't locate any tracks. If we could have covered more miles, I'm positive I would had a race.
Wytex, next weekend I plan to be your area that you recommended. Preston

Good luck up there. Perhaps not as many folks that far towards the state line.
You could get a tree permit in Laramie and not see anyone while out cutting on our side of the line.
Should have plenty of snow too.

Preston, good luck down there, you may go on facebook on a couple of the houndsmens groups and see if you could find a local guy to tag a long with. Hunting here in the flathead is always fun.

Terry

Yes, I wish I was back home, and had a little more time to hunt this winter. I'm not on facebook, and my dogs are kind of independent. Every time I tried hunting with other dogs it was a disaster. Good luck up there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back