Delicious grouse

Gr8bawana

We had only one day this year to relax after I shot my buck. My son decided to go look for some Chukars while my brother and I quartered up the deer to put in the cooler.
He didn't find any Chukars but he went a bit higher and found a couple of Ruffed Grouse in the Mahoganies. We cooked them on Sunday and my wife agreed with my son and myself that they are delicious. I don't know if they always taste so good but perhaps these did because they were full of little green blades of grass.
We also took the afternoon to do a little fishing at Southfork Res. near Elko. We also made some bbq chicken in one dutch oven and one dutch oven with potatoes, onions, bacon and kielbasa.

DSCN0887.jpgDSCN0889.jpgDSCN0890.jpg

Last edited:
If you went up to Preston Idaho you could have.....

giphy.gif

Grouse is one of those game animals where Fair Chase does not apply. Tastes too good to be sporting...

Fur, fish and feathers trifecta action. Looks like a fun family trip......and not so snowy and freezing as previous family outings IIRC.

Hard to tell in the pics on my phone but those look more Sooty/dusky grouse than Ruffed to me, but I haven’t seen to many ruffed grouse from areas other than the PNW so maybe they look different.

I love grouse, but they can be tough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back