Are black bears out in 12+ inches of snow?

std7mag

PA black bear starts tomorrow. Figures we got 12+ inches of snow last night. Temps 23-35 degrees f.

Any sense going out, slogging through the snow, or should i stay home, warm with my coffee?

Not sure about PA... but I would imagine that bears are in a hyperphagic state and are desperately looking for food. If I was you I would 100% be out there, if you cut a track there is a good chance you will get a bear.

sit at home or go hunting...seems like easy decision for me.
As to bears being out, I'd be talking to local biologists. I would imagine there is still food out, they will be out.

Local biologist? Whats that???

Heck it takes a unanomus vote in the house and senate to get hold of a game warden around here...

But you fine people say go out, so i'll go out!

Thank you!

I'd go. I'm not a bear hunter, but snow was melting today near my place. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow too.

I just read in the local paper that this past Saturday(opening day) was one of the higher harvests in recent history. Double last years numbers, although I see to recall that the weather last year was terrible. So yes, I guess they were out in the snow! haha

Last edited:
Hunt or stay home and do chores? Hmmm.....I would choose hunting, no matter the odds.

I haven't met anybody yet that has filled a tag from the couch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back