Caribou Gear

Election day buck

Gr8bawana

Just got back from my late season rifle hunt in the Ruby's of NV. We didn't see any bucks like we are used to seeing during late season. The wind was howling and non-stop so that may have been a factor. Saw one little 3 point the first day at about 9,000'. We did see a good herd of 17 Mtn. goats and later 3 nice billys. I assume they were billys because their horns were heavier than the others and the bases were much closer together.
On day 2 we went to another area lower because my brother and I needed an "easy" day to let our legs recover from the first day hiking from the base of the mtn to almost 10,000'. We're getting too darn old, my brother and I used to make that same hike everyday but that was 30+ years ago. My 32 year old son had no problem.DSCN0884.jpgDSCN0882.jpgDSCN0874.jpgDSCN0875.jpgDSCN0868.jpgDSCN0865.jpgDSCN0879.jpg
Saw lots of does and small bucks but no shooters.
Day 3 same area, lots of small bucks and does.
Day 4 different area near the gold mine at south end of range. Didn't see any deer but saw quite a few elk where we have seen them a couple of years ago. Lots of cows and smaller bulls, best bull was a 5 point.
Day 5 again lots of small bucks and does. When we got back to camp in ate afternoon my son spotted some deer in the canyon behind camp and the little 3 point I ended up getting.
They saw us coming and moved out so we had to find them a couple of canyons over.
I wish I could say I put the Nosler ammo I won here to good use but I could have made the same mess with the cheapest of ammo so I will admit I made a terrible shot and hit his back leg and lost sight of him when he ran down. Saw him running away at full speed and took the only shot I had which was his butt, not good. At least I was able to recover him.
We only had to drag him about 20 feet to the dirt road which is a first for us.DSCN0885.jpg

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back