MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

CO Hunting partner Small game, birds, big game

arfessler

I just moved to Denver a few months ago from the midwest and am trying to get more into small game/bird hunting. I'm looking for hunting buddies or mentors to show me the ropes, I really just want to learn. I also have several friends who would like to start hunting to see how they like it and I figured this would be a good way to get them started.

I usually get out to hunt whitetails, turkeys, squirrels, and pigs, would love to find some people who would like to go out for those species.

I just moved to Denver a few months ago from the midwest and am trying to get more into small game/bird hunting. I'm looking for hunting buddies or mentors to show me the ropes, I really just want to learn. I also have several friends who would like to start hunting to see how they like it and I figured this would be a good way to get them started.

I usually get out to hunt whitetails, turkeys, squirrels, and pigs, would love to find some people who would like to go out for those species.

CO is a tough state for those species. Whitetails are mostly on private and on the front range, there are hogs in CO but they are an unregulated invasive mostly on private or in high fence areas, CO has great turkey hunting... pretty tough around Denver but it can be done generally speaking you are going to have to work for a public land tom.

Not many people squirrel hunt so I bet the hunting is outstanding once you find a spot.

With millions of residents to compete with it may be a bit of a challenge for WT or turkey but as mentioned few if any people hunt squirrels so you may have some luck chasing them. If squirrel season is open when those other seasons are closed you might not have much competition. Rabbits might also be worth considering for people getting started.

I’m more trying to get into waterfowl and upland bird hunting. WTs, pigs and squirrels are just what I typically have hunted. I’m willing to do some driving to get to a good area. Any idea how much pressure the walk in areas out east get?

Good to hear that the turkeys and squirrels could be good outlet for for getting my hunting fix.

Lots of good upland on the front range and up in the mts, I would definitely spend some time chasing grouse. Check out the various state wild life areas in the state for ducks. CPAW has a SWA guide in their site.

Just a side for your whitetail hunting if your interested. Drive east tags are easy to draw and you find good to great numbers on public land. Most Colorado hunters have no idea ;)

Start reading the regs and the draw recaps. The recap will show you what units you can draw tags with 0 points. Get a good map app like onX and then see what units have public lands where the 0 point draws are. Out east can be really tough to find huntable land, there's millions of acres of public west of I25. You don't by chance muzzleoader hunt do you? Been looking for a deer partner. Where I hunt coincides with 1st elk rifle, so most of my buddies are tied up in the mountains that time of the year.

Man you dont have to believe me it doesnt matter one way or they other. Just 1 less person out therei plus everyone you convince of your theory. I was wrong and misinformed in my original post. Carry on

Man you dont have to believe me it doesnt matter one way or they other. Just 1 less person out therei plus everyone you convince of your theory. I was wrong and misinformed in my original post. Carry on

Hey I'm not arguing, there is habitat + public land overlap I'm just helping the dude locate a helpful resource to figure out where to go get it done if WTs are his species of choice. My earlier comment was tongue in check, I think the greater issue is that you can't get a whitetail + a muley tag in one year and the mule deer hunter in Colorado is phenomenal and the amount of public land in that habitat is immense, (see MT shit load of WT deer on public land with super low pressure)

That map is a little misleading. It can be tough finding WT on the public land. Not impossible, but not easy. Easy isn't any fun anyways.

I believe you, heck even offered to film your hunt!

You gonna be at the meeting on the 28th?

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back