Montana Breaks advice

sschultz

I am going to put in for a elk license in the breaks this spring and need a little advise. I'm an over 65 year old hunter in reasonable shape and want to do a solo hunt in the breaks for archery elk. My plan is to do a fat tire bike in as far as I can go and backpack in from there. Which unit would give me better access. A boat ride down the river would also be possible if that matters.
Thanks for any advice in advance.

Read the rules for the refuge, I cannot remember if you can bike into the refuge. Elk are where you find them in that country. Those elk move around there alot. Lots of people. River can be good, some of the islands may be flooded during archery season making it a mosquito haven.

I see where more and more archery hunters are utilizing mountain bikes to get back away from the main roads. You can pretty much walk in that same distance to the areas they are accessing. Not sure if you would be really gaining anything over the other competition/hunters. Just because the CMR map may indicate a “wilderness area” does not mean hunters don’t get into those areas on a regular basis. As Golfer said, the elk are where you find them ... meaning they move around and cover some pretty good distance in little or no time at all.
Regarding the boat. Not a bad idea, but others do the same. Don’t be surprised if you boat to a spot and there is someone with a boat already there or you dock the boat walk up to the top of a ridge and someone has walked in from a road. Some negatives when considering using a boat is that this area of Montana has a tendency to be windy and Fort Peck Reservoir gets some big waves (high wind warnings). Fog can also be an issue for boating in an area you are not familiar. Depending on the reservoir pool elevation (wet year vs dry year) the actual river may shift or there are trees, willows, floating logs, debris sticking out or floating in the water. So, boating in the fog may become a safety issue.
Not trying to talk you out of anything, but just attempting to make you aware of the negative aspect of a mountain bike or a boat. If it rains ... the mud (gumbo) will make a bike impossible and boating a real hassle.
Check your Private Messages (PM).

Basically anywhere you can take that bike I can drive a truck. So bike is useless bad idea. Boat however may be a good idea especially if it's wet out. The units are all pretty similar for the most part. Some hold more elk than others you can see this by tag allotments. No real secrets in the breaks lots of hunters during bow season.

Basically anywhere you can take that bike I can drive a truck. So bike is useless bad idea. Boat however may be a good idea especially if it's wet out. The units are all pretty similar for the most part. Some hold more elk than others you can see this by tag allotments. No real secrets in the breaks lots of hunters during bow season.

False. There are gated roads on CMR that vehicles are locked out of. I've ridden 7 miles on a closed road on the north side of the river where vehicles had not been in over a month due to restrictions.

As far as a bike goes, Id take the fatbike over my regular 29er mtb. If it gets to raining, spray Pam cooking spray on the entire bike. Trust me...hell, carry that can of Pam cooking spray with you for your boots as well.

Lots of negative Nancies on here, but if it was me, I'd say most of em are lazy af and just spewing haterade on your idea to out work em.

Have you thought about a trailer for your bike to haul gear/meat with? Thats what I did when I drew that tag three years ago. Rode a ways in and locked it to a tree and then hiked in to set up a camp. Never saw a single person back there.

If it gets to raining, spray Pam cooking spray on the entire bike. Trust me...hell, carry that can of Pam cooking spray with you for your boots as well.

Im curious to hear more about the Pam cooking spray...please elaborate.

In the "UL" bend portion of the CMR you cant even use a came cart...
Some of the "Roads" that are marked I would never take my $30,000 truck on.
Anyone ever hear of "Mule Tape"?
GREAT stuff, we have a mile and a half of mule tape and a hand full of Pulleys for corners and and a plastic utility sled,have pulled out Many elk and deer with the truck. PS I'm 68.

I'm in the Breaks right now. Not a ton of mud, but some. Leave the Pam at home. It ain't gonna work. mtmuley

False. There are gated roads on CMR that vehicles are locked out of. I've ridden 7 miles on a closed road on the north side of the river where vehicles had not been in over a month due to restrictions.

As far as a bike goes, Id take the fatbike over my regular 29er mtb. If it gets to raining, spray Pam cooking spray on the entire bike. Trust me...hell, carry that can of Pam cooking spray with you for your boots as well.

Lots of negative Nancies on here, but if it was me, I'd say most of em are lazy af and just spewing haterade on your idea to out work em.

Have you thought about a trailer for your bike to haul gear/meat with? Thats what I did when I drew that tag three years ago. Rode a ways in and locked it to a tree and then hiked in to set up a camp. Never saw a single person back there.

I was looking at the single tire trailer in fact.
Thanks some of the rules on bikes in certain areas are confusing.

Does it prevent the build up of wet gumbo? Does the oil prevent the build up and does it have any effects on boots..

Old XC mtn bike racing trick. I use it religiously anywhere there is heinous ass gumbo in Montana. It keeps shit from sticking and building up. Its food grade oil and has no adverse effect on boots or your bike. I sprayed it on my $6000 mtn bike multiple times with no ill effects.

Sure, you can leave it at home and fight the gd mud or sit on your ass and wait for conditions to improve. All up to each person with a tag in their pocket. As for me, I am gonna do everything I can to fill my tag, even if it means some goofy ass tactics to fight the elements.

Old XC mtn bike racing trick. I use it religiously anywhere there is heinous ass gumbo in Montana. It keeps shit from sticking and building up. Its food grade oil and has no adverse effect on boots or your bike. I sprayed it on my $6000 mtn bike multiple times with no ill effects.

Sure, you can leave it at home and fight the gd mud or sit on your ass and wait for conditions to improve. All up to each person with a tag in their pocket. As for me, I am gonna do everything I can to fill my tag, even if it means some goofy ass tactics to fight the elements.

I used to use WD40. good trick

I used to Pam the anti-balling plates on my crampons to some short lived positive effect.

Muley
Just left the Breaks this morning.pretty certain I saw your rig..Washington plates?

I just left the breaks last Thursday. Felt like I was in Spokane all week there were so many Washington Plates. Pretty sad really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back