Yeti GOBOX Collection

New tires

Gunner46

I finally retired my '94 ranger and bought a very well maintained AWD Subaru Outback. Winter is here and I need to replace the tires, They aren't 'bad', but they ain't great either.

Can't cough up the cash for a full set, but can for two.

Front, or back?

My understanding of the Subaru’s with their awd system require all four tires to be replaced at the same time. Do your due diligence before replacing anything less than the complete set of four.

Used set off of Craigslist or some Facebook garage sale page in your area. Then, buy a new set sometime next year when your coin has multiplied.

Hmm, I would want the new tires on the front where you steer from. I don't want tires that "aren't bad" doing the steering. JMHO though.

If I had to choose, I would do the back pair. Unless you are going perfectly straight, if the front has more traction the back will want to rotate around it under braking.

This is a Sooby, guys..

"Your Subaru's AWD system needs tires of uniform diameter and tread pattern to operate at peak performance. Subaru recommends replacing all four tires at once. However, if your remaining three tires are relatively new then you may be able to replace just one with the same brand, model, and size."

I'm only looking around a month B4 getting the next two. I'd rather pay cash than credit. The bad A$$ winter crap probably won't hit until around Christmas.

I was thinking the fronts, to pull through rather than push and get into a fish tail trying to get over some steeper grades on the hills.

Last edited:
I'm only looking around a month B4 getting the next two. I'd rather pay cash than credit. The bad A$$ winter crap probably won't hit until around Christmas.

I was thinking the fronts, to pull through rather than push and get into a fish tail trying to get over some steeper grades on the hills.

Did you miss the posts about having to change all 4 on your subaru?

I bit the bullet. All 4. The tire guy explained that the AWD computer system would go Wacko with different traction readings.

Dear Family....expect a lot less for Christmas, Gunner just bought tires, but the bright side is none of you should probably be called at midnight to drag my a$$ out of a snowy ditch!

Most all AWD cars are like that. I have a different AWD car and for sure on mine you have to replace all 4.

Most all AWD cars are like that. I have a different AWD car and for sure on mine you have to replace all 4.

So what happens when you are out on the highway somewhere and you get a flat and the spare doesn't match the other 3 remaining with air in them?
or do you simply call a flat bed?
Love fly by wire

So what happens when you are out on the highway somewhere and you get a flat and the spare doesn't match the other 3 remaining with air in them?
or do you simply call a flat bed?
Love fly by wire

Temporary vs. long term situation.

I had a pickup one times I put 265 16s on the back and 255 16s on the front, It only took me one time trying to get it in and out of four wheel drive to go buy the other two. Thought I roasted my 4wd that day. BANG .

Back