Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming antelope and mule deer hunting

This will be my first trip to Wyoming and planning on going fall of 2019. The original plan was to go mule deer and antelope hunting together. I'll have two preference points for each and the other guys will only have one for each species. Any information on where to even start looking as far as units with good draw odds with our points? And any opinions on trespass hunts? Thanks everyone!

Public land plus Walk In Area hunting or looking to arrange private land access for a fee or to hire a guide to take you on the hunts?

Will you apply as a party so 1.33 points each or apply separately so they need a unit can draw at 1 point?

Will you apply for the lower-priced Regular tag or the higher priced Special tag?

Looking for mule deer or whitetail or either is fine?

Archery or just rifle?

Does the recent harvest rate need to be better than 25%? 50%? 75%?

Kick around the above questions a bit and will help narrow down the deer units and pronghorn units to a handful to look at and then you will want to look for overlapping dates for the deer and pronghorn units.

Don't get caught up on the deer and antelope being in the same area. Allow plenty of time, show up and fill your 'lope tags, then move to your deer area for the rest of the hunt.

You can go on the G&F website to see what tags you have a reasonable chance of drawing, then compare seasons to find the ones that the dates coincide, then start comparing accessible public, harvest rates, proximity to each other, etc.

You have a lot of research work to do, but that's part of the fun.

I have friends from back east that want to come out and "Maximize my hunt!"

IMHO, that is the worst thing you can do, and even affects us residents which deal with lottery tags, as well. You will be so caught up on trying to find both, that you won't concentrate on one. I would do antelope for your first hunt, then branch out from there.

What you are effectively doing is buying a "lottery" ticket for a gourmet buffet, showing up, then not being able to try everything you really wanted to try.

I have travelled West from Ohio 7 times. In 08 we were out for Deer and a buddy picked up an antelope tag. He tagged out we did not, however the deer seemed to be way down. In my opinion I would consider looking for an Antelope tag because there are usually enough running around that you can mess up a few and still find one. Then once you filled your tags go scout an area for deer. It will help you have a better idea of the area for when you return the next year.

Where we have hunted antelope, I rarely saw any deer but there were deer in that unit just in different areas. I would stick with just the antelope tag to start.

Dont be afraid to ask land owners about antelope access. You might have to pay a fee but it is usually worth it.

Back