Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho closes steelhead season after lawsuit threat

Paul in Idaho

I know there are a lot of informed people capable of objective thinking here. This news hit today, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the situation.

Idaho Fish and Game Commission on Nov. 14 voted to suspend the steelhead fishing season at the end of fishing hours on Dec. 7 under threat of a federal lawsuit by six organizations for Fish and Game operating a steelhead season without a federal permit, which is currently pending.

IDFG Press release
Letter from IDFG director
Idaho Rivers United release

Here are my thoughts. Salmon and steelhead conservation is a complicated issue, and requires cooperation from many stakeholders. Threatening lawsuits does not help the situation. Paperwork technicalities won't save steelhead. I agree with some of IRU's points, especially that the past and present federal policies regarding salmon and steelhead are not sufficient. However, their lawsuit threat using a legal technicality is too reminiscent of the coercion tactics of wolf advocacy groups. It's manipulating the system, inhibiting collaboration, and is not contributing to a solution.

Back