Yeti GOBOX Collection

Nilgai

djlax

Anyone ever hunted nilgai on the King Ranch in south Texas? I'm traveling down to meet a friend for a hunt in January.

-Jason

Not interested personally, but I know a couple of guys at work who have hunted the king... not much of a hunt, I'm sure you will have fun but you aren't going to be telling the story to your buddies.

The hunt has an almost 100% success rate and you only book 1 day, the guys I know who went couldn't walk up 5 flights of stairs without keeling over and they were both successful.

I guess I should have rephrased to "shoot" a nilgai. Anyway, I'm told that it's superior red meat. Anyone ever eaten it?

I haven't heard much about the nilgai except they are hardier then the other exotics and warier. I can attest to them being much warier then other exotics but I always hear about the axis deer being the superior meat. Not too attuned with that scene though.

My uncle owns/runs a wild game processing place in south Texas where I wrkd on the side for many years.
Doing so I got to try quite a variety of wild/exotic meats; as w everything care during n after the shot n the diet of the actual animal play a big role in the meat. With that being said nilgai are outstanding table fair. I can’t offer any advice on how “challenging” the hunt is being I’ve never hunted them. Friends that have say it’s relative to the pressure n area they are at.

Go do it. Unique country and you should see a decent number of animals. Wear snake boots. The rattlesnakes suck, especially the ones that don't rattle.

Nilgai are tough so make sure you know where to hit it. Guide will go over it with you but look up the anatomy before you go on the hunt.

They are delicious and the hide makes a pretty cool rug - http://www.hiblertaxidermy.com/Taxidermy.html can take care of you.

Go do it. Unique country and you should see a decent number of animals. Wear snake boots. The rattlesnakes suck, especially the ones that don't rattle.

Nilgai are tough so make sure you know where to hit it. Guide will go over it with you but look up the anatomy before you go on the hunt.

They are delicious and the hide makes a pretty cool rug - http://www.hiblertaxidermy.com/Taxidermy.html can take care of you.

My best friend and hunting partner was down there last fall on a Customer trip and all of the above is verbatim what he has described. He hit his cow perfectly 2 times, there was zero blood trail and it went close to 1/2 mile. The ranch guides had plenty of tracking dogs, but without them, in his words there was zero chance they would have recovered it.

I've personally eaten 10+ pounds of that Nilgai and it is fantastic.

He would say the same as Wilm, btw - but anyone heading to the King should know what they're getting. Rob said he won't be in a hurry to go back, but as 'business meetings' go, it was better than something like a Vegas junket and as noted - the meat is extremely good.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back