Randy...step on it.

This is a poem of big 4ths & internet envy.

Well done, Randy & Matthew! That Buzz is a swell fella. :)

Wow, what a great bull. Congrats. I am impressed with mow many bulls turned up on accessible public land. I knew some guys who had that tag a couple years ago and could not find bulls on publicly accessible land and ended up having to get private access to the public to find bulls. I am going to have to give them all sorts of crap as apparently there are hundred of bulls on accessible public land in that unit without having to pay for access.

To put an end to any rumors, I'll post this quick synopsis. And I'll provide some background that MN Public Hunter likes to stir shit in a way he thinks comes across as innocent and just wanting to know, yet every time he gets the chance he likes to state outright, or imply, what he has questioned here. I get it; he doesn't like how we do things, and he likes to use this forum and our FB page to cast his aspersions.

As Bob said, the answer to MN's question is "No." Buzz, being a long-time friend who has hunted this unit in the past, was invited to join us and be part of this hunt. He knows this unit almost like his backyard. And it allowed us to follow through on a long-standing and unmet commitment that we would share a camp/hunt sometime. I'd be a fool to not take up the offer of a friend to join us who has this much to offer in the way of information and experience.

As for the bull that was killed, we drove into a big area that Buzz was familiar with and where Marcus had seen a bull disappear the day before. We all split up, heading different directions to glass different areas. I went west, Buzz went east, with Marcus and Matthew taking the north and south viewscapes. I found two bedded bulls, then hiked back to get the crew and grab the spotter. We all returned to the glassing area and the two bulls I saw turned into six bulls by the time we returned to that glassing knob.

While we took turns inspecting those bulls, Matthew asked why we weren't looking at the three bulls closer and to our southeast. He pointed them out to us and we turned the spotter to them. The bull Matthew shot turned out to be one of the three he found while the rest of us were analyzing a different group of bulls.

So there you have it, MN Public Hunter, Matthew actually found the bull that was shot. After passing many others over the prior day and a half, he decided this bull and this situation was one that represented what he was hoping for in this hunt. And after a very patient set up that lasted 20+ minutes of the bedded bull in his crosshairs, Matthew shot the bull at 285 yards after it rose from its bed. When you see the footage, you will see how this unfolded, so you should no longer be "a bit lost."

That said, I can say with all certainty that if Buzz had not been with us, we would have never looked in this part of the area. We would have not hunted a lot of places Buzz's experience pointed us to glass. It would have taken a lot longer to turn up as many bulls as we did, if at all. And without Buzz's help it would have required a lot of luck to turn up a bull of this quality.

Again with the I'm the pot stirring bad guy here......How about people(not Randy)not starting a thread that basically 100% implied that someone else found the elk and led you to them. I get you and your crew don't like being questioned and I seriously have no problem with people helping each other find critters to shoot. Next time I post I'll make sure not to try to seem innocent as that is not what I was trying to do. I point blank wanted to know if someone guided you to where they were and I was indeed correct, thank you for the honest reply.

Last edited:
I was hoping this wouldn't head down this path when I saw the post by MN Public Hunter.

JFC, a person cant even help out a friend anymore without someone throwing a chit-fit.

For the record, I've received similar help, the same as I provided to Randy/Matthew, from people on this board. Greenhorn has helped me in Wyoming more than anyone who lives here, including all but giving me GPS cords to a couple B&C pronghorn. AZ402, has helped me a ton in Arizona with coues deer, elk, and desert bighorn and I've helped him in Wyoming with deer and pronghorn. The list goes on and on and I'm beyond grateful for the help I've received.

We're all friends, that like to hunt, simple as that.

That's just an awesome animal. I'd really like to have one that amazing hanging in my house, and on my weekly menu at home. It would be nice to look up at a set of antlers like that and remember a real good time on a hunt with family and some great, generous friends. Can you please post up some more pictures of the great time, and that amazing elk so I can drool and dream??

^^^^THIS

I'm with MN Public Hunger.. more pics please.

Nothing wrong with hunters helping each other.Esp. with tags they may never get again.With point creep in Wyoming my guess is he'll be lucky to see that unit again in 20 years.I wouldn't refuse help on something like that.Randy gives up a TON of knowledge on his YouTube videos.Im jealous of the bull and his connections but his son still had to find that particular bull and get in range.I help ALOT of guys as I've hunted Montana,Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico.And his son got that done on public ground so anyone with that tag could have beat him to it.Im happy for him.Hunting to me is having fun with friends too.Looks like it was a success and around

Congrats on the giant bull. We were north of you guys hunting until that crazy storm hit, that must have been what caused your white knuckle drive. It was a good feeling to be off the mountain and in the hotel when that nasty weather rolled through. Good timing by you guys to get it done right before the storm.

Congrats on a great successful hunt and good fellowship! I can't wait to watch it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back