Greetings from Commiefornia!

SoCalRedneck

I was forcibly removed (ok, offered a better job...) from the great state of Georgia to SoCal about 7 yrs ago... spent the first couple of years trying to figure out this whole zones and tags thing out west, decided to hunt where I work on Camp Pendleton and got a forky my first season. This mule deer thing is easy! Yeah, that's why I ain't killed crap since... lol. Anyway, huge fan of Randy, been using his e-scouting stuff to nail down some areas with success in terms of encounters but not in terms of a filled freezer (yet!). I'm on here hoping to find a bit more guidance. As much as I like taking my rifle and/or bow on nature hikes, and know that's just part of the learning curve, I'm starting to get concerned my kiddos will lose interest in hunting if we keep coming home empty handed.

Based on where your located, I would recommend that if you are looking for local hunting opportunities that you moth ball the firearm and take a short walk South West into the Pacific with a speargun. MUCH more opportunity and MUCH closer.

Based on where your located, I would recommend that if you are looking for local hunting opportunities that you moth ball the firearm and take a short walk South West into the Pacific with a speargun. MUCH more opportunity and MUCH closer.

:hump:
This! The one thing I really miss from living in So Cal!

Welcome.
Look farther north & inland,away from people. A zone tags are OTC & there used to be some decent deer in there along with pigs.
Check out Fort Hunter-Leggett.

I live inland, near March ARB. I have an A-22 tag this year, first attempt off of Pendleton. No luck the first half of the season, but it opens back up this weekend now that D16 is done. I'm hunting Palomar in a little wedge of public between a bunch of private, about a mile from the nearest road. All thick woods (old whitetail hunter habits die hard), but I've been seeing does a lot. I've heard Fort Hunter-Ligget is great, only turkey hunted up there. I got sent up to Camp Roberts for work once and it happened to coincide with turkey season, not that I was bummed! I may have to make another trip up next deer season... just tough to go that far when it's hard for me to get more than a random day here and there to hunt with my schedule.

Your not too far from the Pacific but if spearing doesn't suit you you may want to familiarize your self with San Jacinto Wildlife Area for some duck hunting. Its less than 30 minutes from March ARB (On the East Side of Lake Perris). I wish I could recommend something better, but where you live is tough for hunting.

Good luck

Welcome. I escaped commie-fornia earlier this year. If your interested in bear, take a look around zone D3 near Quincy and bucks lake. Lots of black bear up that way. Towards Willets off highway 20 there is rumors of feral pigs, but I never saw any for myself. I know both are a bit of a drive for you, but that's the extent of my knowledge of hunting big game in Cali. Lots of deer up in D3 as well, just have to really work for them

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back