Caribou Gear Tarp

I'm sure no one else on here misses roosters.....

onpoint

MT public land roosters are kinda' educated this far into the season.
My two girls corralled one, had it centered between them and I was right in the sweet spot.
My fitted, pricey, semi auto Benelli missed a chip shot a couple times. My little one had the "WTF" look as I stood there like an idiot.
DSCN0397.jpg
I looked at my Montefeltro and thought of Old Bill Beyl, RIP, from the Bozeman Powderhorn. Those of you who were around Bozo when he was will know him as the always smiling and jovial gunsmith and legendary clay breaker from the iconic Powderhorn (turned Schnees). He once put an aftermarket pad, to lengthen the pull, on a shotgun of mine and I told him that this should make me hit more birds.
His dry stonefaced response:
"What's it like to miss"?

I remember shooting trap with Bill when I was younger. It was close to the end of the round and I thought I had my first 25 in the bank. He threw an empty hull at me right before my last shot and I whiffed. He smiled and told me to focus harder. He taught me a lot about shooting.

My dog has given me that look....many a times!!! Luckily she still lets me go with her!!

No whiffing this morning. Fresh snow, fog, crowing roosters - my little machine's nose was in high gear.
One rooster off the point. Another one - a long runner - she chased for about 500 yards and the poor dumb thing made a big loop right back to me. It dropped in heavy cover, and my girl pointed dead bird.
Right now she's licking two raw nipples (her's) - ouch.
For those who don't find hunting over a good bird dog one of the best things known to modern man, I wouldn't bother "taking it up". There's too many good college football games on ESPN17 in December:D.
Or hunt for cow elk during the shoulder seasons. Montana has way too many of those critters......................
DSCN0406.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't missed since yesterday. Will try not to miss tomorrow.

Nice photo and a great dog!

Great looming dogs. My Lu and I today 2 for 2, last time out Lu 3 for 3 and me 1 for 3, all part of the fun.

Looks like a great day! I remember Bill well. I saw him as a kid growing up in town but didn’t know what he did until later in life. He helped to repair a gun that I damaged in a cliff accident in Alaska. I’ll always remember the rooster feathers he had sticking out of the back of his bed of his truck

Back