WY Elk General tag 2019

Irrelevant

So I've got 5 pnts. I'm the only one in my group of hunting partners with than many, everyone else is in the 1-2 point range. I'll probably try to sucker someone into going, if for nothing else than someone to share the packout suckfest with. 5 pnts (or less) seems to me to be in no-man's land, a couple more and there's quite a few options, but with point creep I'm not sure I'll ever get there. I really want to try WY elk this next year, I've been doing ID non-resident for a couple years now and just looking to try something different. I think a general tag, is going to be the ticket, probably focus on 7-10 days in the middle of Sept for archery. I've been looking at the western and southern Wyoming Range in general and think I've found a couple of potential honey holes within a manageable packout distance (~5 miles). If anyone has any other ideas or recommendations shoot me a PM I'd love to chat with about anyone who's been there during that time. I'm trying to get a feel for hunting pressure, bears, and just general expectations. I may need to lug the family back there in August for some scouting, but I'd really prefer to save that vacation time for actual hunting. If nothing else I'd love to hear what people's opinions are of the published harvest rates vs personal experience.

Southern Wyoming range might have sheep issues, meaning domestic sheep grazing and pushing out the elk in the area. You'll have grizz issues perhaps, they wander down that way.
Neat country to hunt but the sheep affect it.

Southern Wyoming range might have sheep issues, meaning domestic sheep grazing and pushing out the elk in the area. You'll have grizz issues perhaps, they wander down that way.
Neat country to hunt but the sheep affect it.

I was wondering if that wasn't the case, but sheep never crossed my mind, I was thinking more cows. Google shows some crazy "game" trails in that country to the point I was doubting they could actually have been made by "game".

I am in a similar situation with 7 points, couple of my buddies only have 1 or 2 also. Hoping to draw next year as well. You actually are not far off point wise on some good units if you consider the special draw. General tag wouldn't be a bad choice either. Main thing is you have the points! Lots of people would love to be in your situation lol.

Yeah... I'd sure love to be in yours, 2 more points and I think it opens up a lot of dang fine units.

In my opinion a general tag would be better than 47 or 48. With 5 points it may be possible to draw 25/27 which is a good unit.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back