PEAX Equipment

The gift that keeps on giving

Tradewind

So, a mishap a year ago with an errant safety catch on a can of bear spray gave my heavy pack a good coating
on the padded part of the waist belt.
Rinsed it off, didn't think much about it until this year on a 70 degree day on the rifle opener and my back and hip began to burn.
Thought it was chaffing. Turns out the bear spray has a shelf life, even when out of the can.
Any suggestions on what to use to get it off or at least neutralize it?
Thanks

Spray on a vinegar solution and brush it in, then rinse. May have to do that a time or two. I'd hose it or pressure wash it afterwards.

Capsaicins are oils, so you’ll need to use something that can deal with those. I’d try a strong dish soap solution (try Dawn and warm water), get all of that padding thoroughly saturated with it and let it soak for a couple hours. Rinse thoroughly and repeat if necessary.

Thank you both. It'll give me something to try.
Addicting - you're a trip

A couple yrs ago we had a can go off in the truck when the driver jumped in and the canister was on his hip and it hit the seat belt receiver just perfectly. Left a heck of a stain and smell, but we got it out with facial cold cream...and no, that wasn’t in our packs but local Albertsons had it...lol. Not sure if you want to use that on your pack, but it did work on the truck interior.

Gasoline and a match works best. ;)

I've had several bear spray mishaps/shenanigans and Dr. Bronner's castile soap works pretty well.

A couple yrs ago we had a can go off in the truck when the driver jumped in and the canister was on his hip and it hit the seat belt receiver just perfectly. Left a heck of a stain and smell, but we got it out with facial cold cream...and no, that wasn’t in our packs but local Albertsons had it...lol. Not sure if you want to use that on your pack, but it did work on the truck interior.

Most of the other suggestions make some sense, to try.
I am wondering how you came about using facial cold cream?
Next time I get it on my skin is th cold cream the most soothing solution?
I know a shower did not work

I have heard of cold cream or milk/plain yogurt to soothe skin exposure too. Had not heard of anyone using it on fabric. Doesn’t seem like the most fabric safe option, but if all else fails...

Do let us know what works or not for you.

I have heard of cold cream or milk/plain yogurt to soothe skin exposure too. Had not heard of anyone using it on fabric. Doesn’t seem like the most fabric safe option, but if all else fails...

Do let us know what works or not for you.

The reality is I prob won't know until some hot summer day next season.
I was looking up Dr. Bronner's castle soap. seems a bit of a mix between the cold cream and dish soap. At least I get a choice of smelling like lavender or almonds. :)

google fu..

Capsaicin is soluble in alcohol, which can be used to clean contaminated items. When capsaicin is ingested, cold milk is an effective way to relieve the burning sensation (due to caseins having a detergent effect on capsaicin); and room-temperature sugar solution (10%) at 20 °C (68 °F) is almost as effective.

Or maybe..
meat.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the other suggestions make some sense, to try.
I am wondering how you came about using facial cold cream?
Next time I get it on my skin is th cold cream the most soothing solution?
I know a shower did not work

We have a huntress in our archery group and she was working on a solution while the rest of us dudes were coughing and spitting. I’m guessing she pulled it up on Pinterest or one of those sites that ladies tend to navigate a whole lot quicker than the gents.

Replace the padded belt,they do sell them separate for different applications.:cool:

Harley,: "Capsaicin is soluble in alcohol," 'quote.

So, you're telling whiskey would work :confused:
Seems a long way from facial cold cream, eh.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back