Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Access issue/corning crossing goes both ways

"My mother and father were very attuned to [sic] the people, have a right to go to their land"

Does this guy even hear himself?

Little difference between corner crossing by foot and by building a road.

On the corner crossing issue, Albus predicted people will soon be building a ladder over his house to access the post office.

Last edited:
this happened a long time ago in PA on a piece of public, there is a sportsmans club on the other side of public then public on the other side of that. they bitched they couldn't use the road going in so they were granted access as long as the public could use the road by foot to get to the far side of the public.

Yup, if land owners like corner crossing prohibitions so much they should live with them too. I am guessing we would see some positive movement on this if the states/feds made corner crossing approach mutual.

^ Can you imagine how fast the corner crossing would be resolved in WY, CO, MT, etc. if the USFS and BLM closed a bunch of roads.

It's very interesting to see the differences in landowners.

Being a small postage stamp land owner with a small 40 acre hunting camp in ne mn and also being an avid public land user, it's hard for me to not see both sides. Yet, if I was asking for something, isn't there a give and take when asking for something that's a little more than just being able to access acreage? He's got legal access through walking in, yet that's not good enough, hmm? He could still log it and have access to removing timber with a helicopter, like hunters that are left to access landlocked blm grounds in the Durfee Hills or other areas by helicopter or plane.

When the shoe is on the other foot, it is amazing how hypocritical people can get. Understand his frustrations, but it's not just to take care of a fire risk. Call a spade a spade and stop the bs, he wants access to his land locked land, and that's understandable. But imho, he can pound sand if he has little understanding of give and take. Seems like a lofty goal, when the shoe on the other foot is met with strong feelings towards the public using corner crossings.

It's a selfish, I'll get mine and yours too attitude. Don't tread on me but p on you.

The main objection I read from landowners is that legal public access to public lands they have blocked off would be an illegal taking of their property rights (the value of their properties is greater because of access they control to public lands). Well duh. Following that logic, those same landowners have illegally taken property value from public land owners like you and me, the whole time they have blocked access. The court should allow us access to our lands, and fine the landowners for blocking that access for every year they have done so. The fines can go to funding for USFS, BLM, state land agencies.

He's got legal access through walking in, yet that's not good enough, hmm? He could still log it and have access to removing timber with a helicopter, like hunters that are left to access landlocked blm grounds in the Durfee Hills or other areas by helicopter or plane.

Haha, right? Does he strike you as a guy who tries to do a lot of walking? Or critical thinking? I bet he shoots an elk out of that "fire-hazard" timber up there every year, right out the truck window...

Haha, right? Does he strike you as a guy who tries to do a lot of walking? Or critical thinking? I bet he shoots an elk out of that "fire-hazard" timber up there every year, right out the truck window...

Agreed.

As long as it benefits him, he's all for corner crossings. But if it doesn't, he's against it. Gotta give the fs credit for not just giving into his request for access without getting access. Understand his request and wanting access, just don't get the idea that if the shoe was on the other foot he'd be claiming it to be illegal because of the corner crossing laws on the books. If it goes one way, it should go the other, but we all know that's not reality in a situation that's all tilted one direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back