Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Minimum Caliber For Alaska

What and where are you planning to hunt? I live in Alaska and have carried everything from a .270 Win/WSM to .300 WM. My go to rifle for bear is my .300 WM, but I just got a .338 WM as a retirement gift from the military. The wife bought it for me, as I wanted a little more oomph for grizzlies. Moose and caribou hunting, I have carried my .270 WSM and .300 WM the most. My son either carries my .308 Win, or .270 Win. Moose are not hard to kill. You would be fine with a .308 or .30-06.

Thanks for the constructive responses. Yes, with some of the responses ... it’s going to be a long winter for some folks who appear already bored (must be because the election is over).

I’m considering purchasing a new rifle and trying to decide between a 300 WM or a 338 WM. I have always wanted to make a hunting trip up to Alaska and wanted a good gun. I currently have a Tikka 270 and a Ruger 30-06. The 30-06 has killed everything from antelope, deer, elk and moose, but I was wanting a little more “umff”.
Not sure when and where I would be going to Alaska, but I am thinking about it in my head.

Thanks for the constructive responses. Yes, with some of the responses ... it’s going to be a long winter for some folks who appear already bored (must be because the election is over).

I’m considering purchasing a new rifle and trying to decide between a 300 WM or a 338 WM. I have always wanted to make a hunting trip up to Alaska and wanted a good gun. I currently have a Tikka 270 and a Ruger 30-06. The 30-06 has killed everything from antelope, deer, elk and moose, but I was wanting a little more “umff”.
Not sure when and where I would be going to Alaska, but I am thinking about it in my head.

300 WM will handle everything you mentioned. I'd ONLY consider the 338 WM if Brown bear was the primary target (and then probably go up to a 375).
Brown bears have been killed with a 22 LR. Back in the day, Eskimos most frequently used a 222 Rem for all their hunting (caribou and polar bears).
Either your 270 or 30-06 would work admirably for the game you mentioned. As is true most anywhere in the US, the 06 probably accounts for more game than any other cartridge.

300 WM will handle everything you mentioned. I'd ONLY consider the 338 WM if Brown bear was the primary target (and then probably go up to a 375).
Brown bears have been killed with a 22 LR. Back in the day, Eskimos most frequently used a 222 Rem for all their hunting (caribou and polar bears).
Either your 270 or 30-06 would work admirably for the game you mentioned. As is true most anywhere in the US, the 06 probably accounts for more game than any other cartridge.

Where are you getting your info on the 222?

I did a quick search and that as only been around since 1950 and it sounds like a caliber popular in europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.222_Remington

No I'm not bored. Don't care about the election either.

I would use the money towards the air fare and go. I'm trying to think of what you can hunt in Alaska without a guide. Randy Newberg uses a 7mm-08 on black bear. They say caribou arent that tough. Blacktail are small deer. You said you already killed a moose with the rifle you have.

^ Agree.

Rinella has a bit about giving the stink eye to guys with crappy glass and a new 50k truck... I think equally worthy are guys who have 12 rifles and bitch about how expensive it is to hunt in other states.

All joking aside, anything you would use for deer and elk would be reasonable in Ak, with the possible exception of brown bears. Bullet choice and placement are more important than cartridge in most cases.

I was going to say 300WM, but if you have an 06 and want a rifle for "umph" I'd probably go .338.

I did a quick search and that as only been around since 1950 and it sounds like a caliber popular in europe.

Something I read a while (quite a while) ago. Their reasoning was that ammo was light (so they could carry more with them on a dog sled) and was easily reloadable (think Lee Loader). Bear were shot at close range, after being bayed by the sled dogs.

JMG, get the .338 mag. Go to Alaska. That caliber and good bullets will do the job on anything you hunt there or in the lower 48 with more "umph". If a griz of any stripe should wish to make your acquaintance you won't feel as "puny" looking down the barrel either. GJ

JMG, get the .338 mag. Go to Alaska. That caliber and good bullets will do the job on anything you hunt there or in the lower 48 with more "umph". If a griz of any stripe should wish to make your acquaintance you won't feel as "puny" looking down the barrel either. GJ

Bingo. Thanks for all the input.

I live and hunt in interior Alaska.

I use a .270 with handloaded 130gr Barnes TSX for sheep, black bear and caribou.

I use a 300 H&H with handloaded 180gr Barnes TSX for moose and grizzly bear.

My hunting partner's 10 year-old shoots a .243 and has killed sheep and caribou with one-shot kills.

Bullet placement and bullet quality is typically more important than rifle caliber.

Last edited:

I just noticed this. Down here most people claim a bit more "umff" is easily overcome with bullet placement. But go to Alaska and a little more "umff" out does bullet placement, or so it seem's. I suspect that bullet placement only works when the target is not mean and could kill you! :) Sorry, just hit me as funny! I'm sticking with the 30-06. You want more "umff" get a 200 gr bullet! I'll go to my room now!

^ Agree.

Rinella has a bit about giving the stink eye to guys with crappy glass and a new 50k truck... I think equally worthy are guys who have 12 rifles and bitch about how expensive it is to hunt in other states.

Agreed!
My vote for the OP is to spend some money on a FAA/TSA approved gun case, toss the .270 and .30-06 with some heavy for caliber premium ammo in the case, and book a ticket/guide then GO! your fiscal savings might even impress the wife enough that she doesnt complain about the two or three new taxidermy mounts and the freight bill for a freezer full of meat. *crosses fingers*

What I always find amusing about these type of threads, is they guys that preach bullet placement are usually the same ones that bring a backup rifle.

Personally... say you're on a 10 day moose hunt and on day 8 you see your first legal bull, running dead away... you gonna trust grampa's 270 for a THS, or wait for that perfect shot placement?

I hunt with a number of rifles, but only use ones that will work in those "what if" situations.

I've had some very close calls with big pissed off bears and would not want a 243 in my hands...

Don't over think Alaska. Its really just another place. My father-in-law grew up in Fairbanks and used a .270 on moose and everything they hunted. He also had a 35 Remington for brush hunting.

the 222 Remington 220 swift and similar calibers of the time were prized by seal hunters up here in Alaska, due to the flat trajectory the made head shots on seals easier, and for a multitude of other reasons that make since for seal hunting. since most people of the time had only one or two rifles that's what they used for hunting everything.

Read Jim reardon wrote several books about hunters trappers and guides in Alaska and covers the topic of rifles of the time, in His book Alaskas wolf man he goes into detail Frank Glaser's opinion on rifles. great book well worth the read. https://www.amazon.com/Alaskas-Wolf-Man-Wilderness-Adventures/dp/1575100479

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back