Minimum Caliber For Alaska

JMG

Is there a minimum caliber or recommended minimum caliber to hunt Alaska.

If you recommend a minimum caliber, please explain.

Thanks.

I would hunt most everything world wide with a 308 or 30-06. More important than the caliber is the bullet. My go anywhere rifle's these days would probably be my 30-06 and my 6.5x55 as a back up. You can find cartridges adequate from 6.5 to 30! Just make sure you have an adequate bullet!

7mm Rem Magnum, the most powerful rifle cartridge known to man..................................

7mm Rem Magnum, the most powerful rifle cartridge known to man..................................

Yup. Responsible for more one shot kills than any other single cartridge in the history of firearms. Bar none.
Even more deadly in the lefthanded-and-topped-with-the simple-efficiency-of-a-fixed-power-scope-firing-a-175-grain version.
Perfection. :D
DSCN0398.jpg

My dad uses his 7mm for moose in AK. Last one he shot was quartering to him. The dang thing took two steps before he tipped over. At least they were closer to the river!

460 Weatherby. .416 in the very least. It mostly goes on the size of the state.

460 Weatherby. .416 in the very least. It mostly goes on the size of the state.

Well, Alaska is the largest state in the union.
So by that calculus, I would say something on the order of the .700 Nitro is necessary.
Course the average guy going to Alaska for his week or so long hunt is gonna' need to get over the flinch and practice with it a bit first....................

Well, Alaska is the largest state in the union.
So by that calculus, I would say something on the order of the .700 Nitro is necessary.
Course the average guy going to Alaska for his week or so long hunt is gonna' need to get over the flinch and practice with it a bit first....................

Well in Alaska you need to be able to shoot at least 1000 yards so the 700 nitro might not have the trajectory. But thanks to the leupold cds system that may be an option.

At least 1000 yds.
Shit.
I will never be able to go to Alaska.

Yeah unless you can get a massive rifle, there is little use going to alaska. Unless you are on a cruise ship then hot packing a .454 revolver might be sufficient.

That's unless you are crazy and ready for a suicide mission. I myself went after the ravenous black bear with a .300 but nothing came within 1000 yards sadly. Next trip I managed to kill one with a .308. But not everyone is reckless like me. Since I'm not an expert in Alaska until I've made 12 trips or moved there I'm just reckless and naive. Please don't attempt what I've done.

shaffe if your reckless then I must be just plain stupid... all I brought was a .264 and bear spray...

If I had to boil down internet hunting forums into one topic, this precise question would be a contender.

Something as big as a moose.

For some reason, I thought that a 338 was recommended to hunt moose and/or brown bear. Caribou or dall sheep would be a consideration.

Last time I went to the Alaska F&G website they suggested that most hunters would be better served with a 7-08 than a Whiz-Bang magnum anything.....

Big Bad Bears aren't everywhere.

700 nitro will work great at 1000 yards, just need to get that 5000 moa base made. :hump:
just keep in mind that the bullet will be somewhere near the tops of the trees at the peak of its trajectory so there will be some middle ground between pbr and 1000 yds that will be difficult to hold for.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back