Looking for a new rifle

pikeman1

I have a expensive,heavy, loud rifle now. So I’m looking for the opposite,light, quiet, less expensive. Some of my must haves are below, along with 2 rifles I looked at so far but don’t know if they are any good. What do you guys suggest. Thanks.

6.5 creedmore
$700 limit
Stainless
Weight around 7 lbs or less
Shorter barrel
Enough barrel to machine threads for a suppressor
Be able to upgrade trigger to a timney calvine elite

Savage 57077 10/110 Storm Bolt 6.5 Creedmoor 22

Savage 16FCSS 6.5" CREED ACS DBM

They only make Calvin Elites for Remingtons and ARs, so neither of the rifles you listed can have one put in.

If any Timney trigger is acceptable to you, take a look at the Tikka T3s, Timney makes a trigger for them. They are pretty customizable if you are into tinkering.

Tikka T3/T3x. I've put YoDave trigger springs in all of mine and I have no desire for a cleaner break or lighter pull. I've had a couple Timneys in 700's and a Ruger, granted not Calvin Elite's. A little more heft and cost but of course the shorty Tikka CTR is threaded from the factory.

Another consideration - Ruger American Predator.
https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/specSheets/16973.html
It's already threaded, it's available in stainless and matte black. I don't think you can put the Calvin Elite in a Ruger, but Timney makes other triggers. The Tikka is nice and after you shoot it you may decide the trigger doesn't need changing or just the YoDave trigger spring as mentioned earlier.

Bergara, Great stock, action and trigger. No need to upgrade and they have one threaded from the factory. I picked one up and have zero complaints and I’m picky.

Tikka T3x lite stainless best option under $750 in my opinion (have 3 of them). Do have my eye on trying a Bergara, have heard good things.

Bergara gettin' some love. I will admit to going to Cabelas multiple times with the intent of purchasing a light cheap Tikka, each time changing my mind when I held & handled.

Tikka t3 for everything you want. My 300 win mag is 7.5 pounds loaded with scope.

I'd probably just get one with a threaded barrel from the factory. There are a ton of rifles coming out with that now.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen a shorter barrel Remington 700 varmint in 6.5 for around $500. That would handle your Remington trigger requirements.

I'd probably just get one with a threaded barrel from the factory. There are a ton of rifles coming out with that now.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen a shorter barrel Remington 700 varmint in 6.5 for around $500. That would handle your Remington trigger requirements.

I would place the quality of the action, barrel, trigger, stock, accuracy way before a threaded barrel. It is no big deal to bring a rifle to a smith and have them thread it.

Bergara gettin' some love. I will admit to going to Cabelas multiple times with the intent of purchasing a light cheap Tikka, each time changing my mind when I held & handled.

A drop in aftermarket stock has helped me. I hate the stock my .243 came with.

A drop in aftermarket stock has helped me. I hate the stock my .243 came with.

Same here, moved all 3 of mine to B&C stocks, but to keep budget and weight down, the tikka stock is probably the best of the inexpensive “plastic” stocks out there - miles ahead of savage axis or ruger American.

Same here, moved all 3 of mine to B&C stocks, but to keep budget and weight down, the tikka stock is probably the best of the inexpensive “plastic” stocks out there - miles ahead of savage axis or ruger American.

Same here. I found mine for my 7mm Rem Mag (the most power cartridge know to man; millenia after its time as it would have been a fantastic for filling the freezer with mammoth while providing plenty of protection from short faced bears) for only $189 on sale at MidwayUSA.

I looked at the Tikka rifles 10 or 12 years ago. They feel way to flimsy for me. Never got over that I guess. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back