Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Mystery Ranch Pop Up Pack Review

With most of the seasons having finished up, I was wondering if anybody had the opportunity to field test one of the new Mystery Ranch Pop Up packs? I am considering purchasing one of the packs and was wondering how they performed in the field. Thanks!

I had a buddy pack out the hind quarter of a raghorn bull this year with one. He said it did the job just fine. I met him on his way out and gave him my old cableas frame pack. he used that the last 2 miles and said he actually preferred the pop-up.

I picked up the 18L and have been incredibly satisfied with it. This pack is obviously not intended to replace a multi-day hunting backpack nor, in my opinion, a serious load hauling frame. However as a day pack that is capable of bringing the first load back to the truck or camp (where I usually have a dedicated meat hauling frame), this pack performs above and beyond expectations. The low profile is great for slipping through the brush without snagging on low-hanging limbs, allows me to crawl through the sage with my pack on, and lift my head to glass without being restricted by the rigid frames found in backpack-style packs. At the same time, the pop-up frame quickly converts to a really versatile and comfortable load hauler. I packed two antelope out a couple miles this year with no complaints and am very confident that it will handle an elk quarter easily.

The bag is small, but provides ample room for essential gear (survival, first aid, butchering equip, lunch ect.) needed for day-trip hunting. For me, it also limits the amount of 'junk' I tend to throw in when I have extra space. The load shelf is great for hauling extra clothing and game bags, keeping the load tight to your back. I haven't tried it yet, but with the addition of a dry bag, I think this pack would make a pretty sweet overnight setup as well.

I really only have two complaints. First, the material is a bit noisy IMO, though acknowledge that people kill a ton of animals with MR packs every year. I just cringe every time I hear a branch zip across the pack. Secondly, the water bottle pockets are poorly designed. They are hard to reach when trying to replace the bottle, fill up with water when it rains and I can foresee the retaining elastic wearing out in the not-to-distant future.

That said, the pop-up is now my go-to every day hunting pack. Comfortable, versatile and light weight.

I used the 28L all fall, and I was pretty impressed with it. I hauled out a mule deer, whitetail, pronghorn and half an elk with it and it did well on all loads. I never pushed it with a huge load, but many loads in the 50-60 pound range. It doesn't handle weight quite as well as my EXO 2000 did, but it's right there with how my old Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer and Big Sky carried.

I also really like how small it is when the load lifters are folded in. It's nice not bumping your pack with your head and hanging up on brush. Both were issues with me on my EXO.

Considering you can pick them up on sale for around 200 bucks, I think they're a great budget backpack. I would love it if they came out with a tri-zip version.

Used the 18 for an elk bowhunt. It was excellent. Streamline, low, perfect day pack rate it 9 out of 10.
As load hauler it was very good as well, not a comfortable with an elk quarter as a guide lite frame or my two Kifaru frames. That said it was still very good and better then any of my full sized packs in day pack mode. I would say 7 out of 10 for a load hauler.

LOVE LOVE LOVE THE CONCEPT OF THIS PACK!

Looking at the web site the only downfall I can see is that this pack (looking at the pop up 28) does NOT have a scabbard or rear straps for securing a bow or rifle. Can anyone confirm this?

Other than the scabbard thing this pack interests me as I rarely do back country backpack hunts but would love a pack I could expand with an overload sack that I could get a camp into the back country with. I love the concept of this pack because it's primary use is day hunting (easy to haul up into a tree stand, ground blind or a great scouting pack) with the ability to expand to an overload/backpack/meat hauler for back country, spike camp, drop camp use when the opportunity arrises. The mainstream consensus has always been to build a large/hauler pack that pinches down or compresses. I am really looking forward to Mystery Ranch improving this pack a little more. If they throw a couple of cross strap on the back of this pack and small pull out scabbard for hauling a bow and or rifle, Im in!

I added two cross straps for my bow. Took about two minutes

I believe you said you had the 18?

Any photos?

Anything you don't like about the pack you can elaborate on?

Not looking for negativity, just an honest assessment. I am seriously considering one of these packs.

Comfort? I know it's a subjective thing and depends much on your body type and specific pack but have you done any long days 6-12 miles with the pack? Moving from scouting area to scouting area?

I spend about 70 days a year in the field scouting, hiking, hunting, hauling cameras & minerals, checking photos, building blinds and more. I typically use different packs depending on what I am heading into the mountains to do that day. This Pop up looks like it would serve the purpose for almost everything.

Back