Backpacking wood stoves

Jayden12

Anyone use one of these from kifaru or Seek Outside?I'm thinking of getting either the Cimarron or 4 man tipi since my boys are starting to hunt out west with me and carrying one tent makes more sense then two.Just wondering how well they warm the tent in rifle seasons.Im even considering building my own to save a few hundred.Have any of you made a small packable wood stove?Saw one online made out of an old ammo can.
Or should I use my brain and just buy a small camper

I have the kifaru smith stove that ive used with my Cimarron, though only a time or two. With that stove, and most likely any of the stoves out there, you can get that tent far hotter than you'll ever want it.

As far as the kifaru stove is concerned, the opening is a bit small. And while it is fully functional and has nice features, it probably isn't as finished (from a looks perspective) as some of the others out there. to me, it looks like a homemade stove. with that said, it's more important to be functional than pretty.

I did notice kifarus looked like something I could build better myself.Seek Outside looks to have one that's done pretty nice.Thanks for the response.How do you like the cimarron?Is it comfortable with 2 people?Or is it a little more cozy then I'd want to be with a hunting partner,lol

Been in a six man seek outside tipi with the stove a few times. You can get the stove cranking and be hot inside whiles its nasty out, but due to the size of the stoves burn times are short and the heat won't stay long after the fire dies out. They are awesome though at drying you out and warming you up before bed time and first thing in the morning when you wake.

Been in a six man seek outside tipi with the stove a few times. You can get the stove cranking and be hot inside whiles its nasty out, but due to the size of the stoves burn times are short and the heat won't stay long after the fire dies out. They are awesome though at drying you out and warming you up before bed time and first thing in the morning when you wake.

Yes ^^^ this, only with a TiGoat tent/stove

Lite outdoors makes a great titanium cylinder stove. It's got a bigger opening. With the roads on top you can cook/boil on it and get the tent as hot as you want.

I have a cimarron and titanium goat stove. It works fine for two people, gear and stove. The stove will warm you up in the morning and before bed, but you'll have to get up in the night to restart the fire if your bag is not warm enough for the weather your in. It's not big enough to keep going all night. Pretty nice for a backpacking setup though, really light for what you get.

I have the Lite Outdoors stove (old version with small door) and it's great for warming up and drying off however to keep it "warm" you have to continuously feed it tiny pieces of wood. I suggest investing in a quality sleeping bag and insulating pad when buying a packable stove.

I have good zero degree bag and pads.Even a packable cot if I'm not going too far in.Thanks for the responses.Im surprised nobody self built one of the stoves yet.Im going to look into LiteOutdoors; never heard of them

Have the Seek Outside titanium large stove and 9' pipe.

It's been beat to hell though keeps on --- keepin on. I like the cooking/ heating up water use on my rectangular stove versus the fashioned adapter for those cylindrical stoves...

I don't know how big your boys are, but the Red Cliff from Seek Outside would serve you better if you want up to three sleepers plus a stove.

+1 for the Lite Outdoors stoves. I have an old version small stove and new version large(XL?) stove. Small/old one is fine, but the newer design is a bang up job. Better/faster stove body rods and bigger feeding door. I used quarter-split logs right before bed from ~10" diameter logs to increase run time. Runs hottest with small sticks and such though.

I use my big one in a Seek Outside 12 man. I would still recommend a tipi liner (mitigate condensation, that's a big deal) and very solid sleep system but can't beat it for drying out in the backcountry.

Thanks,I will check out that forum.I did look up lite outdoors and they have a really good price on a pyramid tent with stove.Think I'm sold on it

I have old gear.....15 year old Kifaru Paratipi and small stove.

It can get crazy hot inside the tent. It sure speaks peace to the mind when you're 14 miles in, soaked to the bone from all day rain, which just turned to snow.

A person can get warmed up and dried out in a hurry.

I haven't looked at current offerings. There maybe something far better out there now.

I hope to keep using mine for another 15 years.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back