Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2018 otc coues

junior88

This year's hunt would find me in unfamiliar territory. A unit I have never hunted, and a backpack hunt that I have never attempted. Well, we never saw another human being, and we saw quite a few deer. My son and I put 3 bucks to bed the day before the season would open. As the sun rose on Friday we spied the bucks in their beds. My son decided he would try for one of them. One 500 yard shot from my 300 mag and he had his buck. Saturday was pretty slow. Sunday morning we found the other 2 bucks that my son's buck was running with. I picked the better one and settled in for the shot. As he rose from his I shot and missed. I had another chance and made it count. 375 yard shot and my buck was down.

Don't overlook these "leftover" tags. The hunting is terrific, and good bucks can be found. You just have to put in the effort

Attachments

• Carson 2018 buck.jpg
    Carson 2018 buck.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 481
  • Andy 2018 buck.jpg
    Andy 2018 buck.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 479
The blurred out spot in the first picture is to obscure some of the landmarks in the background. My son's friend told us about this spot. Considering we never saw another person, including illegals. We wish to keep it that way.

Those are both great bucks! Depending on the draws, I think I may go do that again next season.

oh dang I didn't know you they had leftover rifle tags! I was just htinking it was OTC archery basically. If I understand the regs correctly, you can go back in january and hunt em with a bow again eh??

teej89 I believe you are correct.Give AZGF a call:602-942 -3000:cool:
Great Bucks guys!

He's not very photogenic lmao.

Teej89, there are always leftover rifle tags. Coues tags, southern units. But the numbers are declining every year. This was our 4th choice. After the draw results come out, G&F posts the leftover tags. You have to apply for them by mail on a first come first serve basis. And yes, I can hunt them and mule deer in January with a bow

He's not very photogenic lmao.

Teej89, there are always leftover rifle tags. Coues tags, southern units. But the numbers are declining every year. This was our 4th choice. After the draw results come out, G&F posts the leftover tags. You have to apply for them by mail on a first come first serve basis. And yes, I can hunt them and mule deer in January with a bow

The second pic didn't load when I first opened the thread - I didn't realize it was your sons and I didn't see your buck. Both are very nice. Are the leftover rifle tags available to non-residents? I guess I could check the G&F website, it is just a a pain going through it.

yes they are available to everyone, and you don't lose your bonus points. We only apply for Kaibab. Collect the points if we don't draw, and then apply for the leftovers

yes they are available to everyone, and you don't lose your bonus points. We only apply for Kaibab. Collect the points if we don't draw, and then apply for the leftovers

That's a good strategy especially for residents. Wish I could do that I want to get out there and hunt coues archery otc one day

NYSKIER, archery coues is over the counter. No matter if it's august/September, December, or January. Just buy your license and tag at any licensed dealer and go hunt. Make sure the unit is open

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back