Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Eastern NM Buck

TwistedSage

Had a strong west wind all day so I approached this piece of state land from the east, walked to the highest hill I could see and glassed. Ruled that out, walked to the second highest point I could see, as soon as I could see over the Crest I glassed straight across and was shocked at what I saw. Straight north of me with a nice crosswind between us was this buck on the face of the next hill bedded down at 130 yards. Just staring off into the distance he had no idea I was there.

By the time I managed to crawl to the top of the hill I had managed to collect quite a few sandspurds in my hands and knees. The grass was too tall to shoot prone, my knee was not high enough to have a good rest with this buck in my scope, off hand 110 yard kneeling shot with 308 this buck slowly stood up looked at the top of the hill then slowly stumbled 5 ft down and fell over.

This is my first mule deer and the first and last time I will ever try to drag a mule deer anywhere. Lucky my friend was with me and we managed to drag him over the hills and through the sage and yucca over a 1/4 mile. We had to stop a few time and try to hold it together. I'm talking dry heaving from straight exhaustion, I haven't been that smoked in a long time but at this point we had gone too far no turning back sun setting quickly. As soon as we made it to the truck coyotes howled from 3 different points.

As undeserving as I felt for almost having this buck presented to me he made us earn him on our way out and I feel like that was only right and wouldn't change that experience. Hung him with mesquite wafting off my smoker on him for 2 days. Ate fresh tenderloin and have a freezer full of steak with 2 more front quarters and a bag of burger in my freezer.

I will never forget this and I can't wait for a other opportunity to pursue and learn from these deer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great buck!I too learned the hard was,drug the hide comletely of a huge buck.Now everything and anything is quartered.lol!:cool:

Yeah! Nice job, but you need a pack next time, or a sled./QUOTE]

Lol I did have a pack definitely misjudged the drag. The worst idea was when I put my nalgene in my main pack to make room for the rifle on the side thinking I would be ok until I made it to the truck. Halfway through I said let's take a brake I'll go get the truck drop off the pack and grab a gallon of water for the both of us I walked perpendicular to the road and made it only to realize my truck was another half mile up the road over a few hills. Made it back to my buddy and he was still trying to drag I made it back with the water and we alternated dragging many time backwards ass first into yucca until we both could pull again and caught the craziest second wind ever finishing the last 40 yards or so together in one pull only to make it and both almost be throwing up.

When the coyotes fired off I was glad to be at the vehicle. This leads me to a question, do you guys worry about coyotes getting aggressive at all when quartering up in the dark? They are plenty thick around these parts

Back