Howa 30R6 Got It Done, Kremmling, CO

For this year’s Mule Deer Hunt we were hoping to get 2 leftover buck tags for 3rd Rifle Season, GMU 27/181. Instead we ended up getting one buck tag for GMU 181/27 and one buck tag for GMU 18/037 for 2nd Rifle Season. Due to our 1st Rifle Elk Hunt and work obligations, we were not able to make it to opening weekend of our 2nd rifle mule deer tag. In fact, we arrived 5 days into the hunt. On WED after opening weekend, we packed everything and drove 3 hours Northwest to Kremmling, CO.
MuleDeer1.jpg

Upon arriving to our hunting area, we hunted high

MuleDeer10.jpg

We hunted Low

MuleDeer3.jpg

But all we saw for 3 days were tons of Does

MuleDeer6.jpg

MuleDeer11.jpg

We came across some Elk old carcasses and in hope of good karma, we hanged some bones on trees :)

MuleDeer7.jpg

MuleDeer9.jpg

Since we ran out of places to scout and we were not finding any bucks, something came to mind: WWRD = What Would Randy Do.

MuleDeer13.jpg

MuleDeer24.jpg

While enjoying some drinks and a little fire, a little voice told me: find a place where not many hunters want to go, where terrain or private/public boundaries make it difficult gain access… So that night I searched OnXMaps, Google Maps, chatted with locals at the Café Shop and found a promising spot but it was not going to be easy getting into the area based on the terrain, distance, elevation and checkerboard area. I was so excited that it was hard to sleep that night.

We had one more day to hunt; one morning to be exact because we needed to return home on Sunday evening and we decided not to do an evening hunt. So Sunday morning, we drove to the promising area, parked the truck and we started the hike up the canyon with headlamps. A few hours later we made it to the spine of the ridge line. We found a nice glassing point and within 15 mins, we located a nice buck between us and private. We kept watching the group and they slowly moved more into public.

I took my range finder out and the buck was at 415 yards. Prepared the Howa 30R6 and loaded some Nosler BT medicine. Reconfirmed distance and sent a clear shot to the vital area of the buck. Bullet struck the target area and my buck dropped on the spot. I was amazed by how well everything unfolded. We hiked down to the buck and after a few pictures, work started. We took two trips up to the spine because we wanted to take everything down to the truck in one trip. I packed out a lot more because my hunting buddy has back problems and cannot carry much weight.

MuleDeer5.jpg
MuleDeer14.jpg
MuleDeer2.jpg
MuleDeer4.jpeg
MuleDeer17.jpg
MuleDeer18.jpg
MuleDeer19.jpg
MuleDeer20.jpg

It was not an easy Sunday for sure. However, I’m extremely grateful for this nice buck, for those memories we created, for the ups and downs, high and lows and for the meat provided by this buck. Can’t wait for next year already lol.

Here you have the Euro Mount already done.

MuleDeer21.jpg
MuleDeer22.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back