What's a Quartered Elk Weigh?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I've often wonder this myself. I've never weighed quarters when I got home, but wish I would have. On our opening week hunt, our guest hunter, Beau Baty, shot a bull. Given Beau weighs everything for llamas so that each side of the load is balanced to the pound, this seemed like a good time to film such. Thanks to Marcus for the idea and for filming it.

This was an average sized 4.5 year old (best estimate of age) bull, weighed with bone in. The elk I have shot in central and eastern MT are larger than what I see in the mountains here in SW MT. Interested what all you might have for weights on bulls you may have put on a scale. Not sure if that is a result of higher quality forage in certain habitats.

[video=youtube_share;18GJU1C9R5E]https://youtu.be/18GJU1C9R5E[/video]

Pretty sure Dinkshooter or Buzz maybe once had numbers written down that I thought were beneficial. Hopefully whichever of them can post them up again.

An aside, FYI - this isn't about elk 1/4's.
But this Univ. of Wyoming Ag Station article is full of really useful and interesting info on elk carcasses in general. I found the quoted WY carcass weights to be very similar to Montana NYE, Gallatin, and Madison carcass weights.
I've referenced this article many times for various purposes.......
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...bs/B594R.pdf&usg=AOvVaw35oi-CV7BRPGEroPJIy9PR

I have found out that 3.5 - 4.5 year bull weighs about 220 lbs; including neck, some rib, blackstrap, and loins. Average size cows and and younger bulls are more likely to be around 160-180 lbs. My first cow produced close to 275-300 lbs; she was massive. I’ve seen other cows of similar size, and a few bulls, but never managed to get a older bull. This is based on 15 or so elk from OK, CO, UT, and MT weighed at locker scales.

Interested to hear other numbers, and weight of elk seem to stretch out like walking 30 miles a day.

i harvested a 8yr old roosevelt bull coastal calfornia. 2 days after the harvest. rear quarters. were. 91. and 96 lbs no skin off at the knee, on certified scales. ive taken 14 bulls idaho colorado montana. most were 60-70 lbs on a packer scale. getting ready for the mules

Interesting.
Last cow I had weighed @ butcher was 225.
That small 6x6 bull last year was a bit bigger,guesstimate.
The cow a few years back was huge, old & weighed 285.
Bet this years cow was 180ish 1Year old.
A Tule cow we weighed whole 12 years ago ,skinned hanging was 225.Old large Tule cow.

Every elk I shoot weight at least 100lbs more at the end of the pack than at the beginning. :)

Great video as I just finished packing my cow and a buddy's raghorn last week.

One question regarding the video, Beau mentions the testicles being in the trim bag....I thought evidence of sex had to be attached to a rear quarter until processing. Not trying to start WW3.....just asking as I think its nasty to leave a nut or a mammary gland attached to a hind quarter myself.....

Great video as I just finished packing my cow and a buddy's raghorn last week.

One question regarding the video, Beau mentions the testicles being in the trim bag....I thought evidence of sex had to be attached to a rear quarter until processing. Not trying to start WW3.....just asking as I think its nasty to leave a nut or a mammary gland attached to a hind quarter myself.....

You'd be correct. MT statute directs evidence of sex be naturally attached to portion of the carcass. Pretty easy and non-nasty to do.......

I normally cut legs off at knee so I don’t have to pack them out but last cow we left them on and just for the hell of it I weighed them. They were between 8-10lbs a piece from knee to hoof. So now when I’m packing two quarters I have no problem making myself 20lbs lighter

Also the last cow I weight all the leg bones after boning and it was a total of 41lbs. That’s not counting the 8-10lbs from knee to hoof for each leg

Oh I know its easy....just don't like the leaky udder soaking milk into the meat.....call me OCD I guess. :/

There is a whole lot better way to leave evidence of sex attached to females then a leaking udder.

I took notes on two cow elk in 2001 and 2003.

Cow #1: 180 pounds of meat from a cow up by Ketchum ID; the bones including the hocks and hooves were 42#. I usually only keep the femur now, which are about 4# each.
Cow #2: 195 pounds of meat from a SW Montana cow.

Looks like I weighed 160 pounds in 2003, and had no shame using that guy's free notepad. In spite of my psychotic handwriting I wish I still kept notes on hunts and fishing trips.... Interesting to look back at a different era for me.

IMG-2540.jpg

IMG-2541.jpg

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back