Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Kimber Mountain vs Hunter

Poke 'Em

Is there any difference between the Kimber Mountain and the Kimber Hunter rifles? Looking at Kimber's specs, the stock seems to be the only difference. I'm having a hard time justifying an extra $1100 to save 6 ounces on the stock. Am I missing something? Is there any other reason to choose one over the other?

The mountain series has been skelotonized a muzzle brake added and the stock has been upgraded. The hunter has a detachable magazine, as opposed to blind. A mountain ascent in 6.5cm weighs 4lbs 13 oz. where the hunter in 6.5cm weighs 5lbs 9oz. Which chamberings are you getting 6 ounces difference?

Last edited:
The same still applies in differences, but in terms of actual cost between the two isn't worth it IMO. The Montana would be a happy inbetween as it is the same metal as the hunter, but an improved stock and a blind magazine. It weighs 5lbs 10oz in 280ai, no real weight savings, but a nicer stock.

I have a hunter in 7mm hunt talk and it's a great rifle.

Thanks. It's hard for me to justify that much extra money for a few ounces, when I can find a few ounces of weight savings elsewhere in my gear for less.

I'm still weighing options for caliber, I didn't realize the .280 AI had the smallest difference, that was just the one I was looking at. I'm running a 7 RM right now as my only big game rifle, but I'm hoping to get a 2nd rifle - one for elk and other bigger game, and another for dall sheep (what's making me get serious about another rifle) and pronghorn/deer so I'm not having to either re-sight to swap to lighter loads, or shoot 175 grains into a pronghorn.

The question I'm weighing is whether I size up for Elk with the new gun and shoot lighter loads out of my Tikka, or size down and keep shooting 175s out of my current setup.

I'm heading on an unguided dall sheep hunt next fall, so I'm trying to find pounds and ounces where I can, but the budget isn't unlimited.

In my hands, the Hunter feels clunky compared to a mountain. There’s a reason for the price difference and it’s more than ounces saved.

Elaborate? My opinion the two Kimber Montana’s I own are better rifles than the Hunters. Fit and finish is better on the higher end rifles. The Hunter’s represent Kimber’s attempt at a cheaper rifle, which is fine. If you like the Hunters, buy one. I wouldn’t justify the purchase by saying it’s the same rifle as the more expensive models, just heavier.

One of my Montana’s is a 280ai and is a great caliber.

I'm heading on an unguided dall sheep hunt next fall, so I'm trying to find pounds and ounces where I can, but the budget isn't unlimited.

Where are you going after Dall's without a guide? After reading that I went deep into it but can't find anything solid.

I own a Hunter in .243 and a Montana in .300 WSM. I can tell a difference in feel. If that doesn't bother you go with the Hunter. I am not unhappy with either rifle.

In my research I found a guy who bought a Hunter... apparently the butt is filled with a LOT of some kind of glue... he ended up shaving out the glue(said it took like two hours) and the stock lost about 5oz.

I ended up going with the Montana, but only because I wanted the threaded barrel.

In my research I found a guy who bought a Hunter... apparently the butt is filled with a LOT of some kind of glue... he ended up shaving out the glue(said it took like two hours) and the stock lost about 5oz.

I ended up going with the Montana, but only because I wanted the threaded barrel.

If you keep your eye out Kimber makes special run Hunters with a threaded barrel. Cabelas had some for a while.

In my hands, the Hunter feels clunky compared to a mountain. There’s a reason for the price difference and it’s more than ounces saved.

^ this right here. Both are good rifles but there's more to it than just a few ounces between the two. The way the bolt throws, the shape of the stock and how it feels when you shoulder it. I'd suggest you physically compare the two side by side in addition to the spec sheets

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back