Spring Hunt - Aoudad - TX or NM

SCliving Outdoors

Hey Guys,
I am in the process of looking for a hunt for this spring. I'd really like to go after an aoudad to finally get a taste of sheep hunting and the price keeps going up. I'd prefer to do a DIY hunt because it is so much cheaper and the satisfaction of doing it myself. There aren't a whole lot of options in TX from what I can see. It looks like West Texas Hunts is pretty solid and has lots of DIY options but they seem to be booked for about 2yrs out on their more affordable ranches. I did read that NM has an OTC option for aoudad in some units (34?), but honestly the info online is pretty scarce. I don't know if that is because the hunt is super tough and there are very few sheep or if its because guys don't want to talk about the good thing they have going, lol.

I do realize that guys don't want to give away secrets and I completely understand that, but if anyone has any info on places in NM or TX that I could do a DIY hunt I would appreciate it. I don't mind paying a trespass fee as long as it isn't something crazy. Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to comment on this post.

Thanks everyone!

If you want a sheep experience, go to New Zealand. Your biggest expense will be the airfare. Totally DIY possible. Lots of public land, no license or tag fees, no limit, no closed season. You can even hunt big game in National Parks.

Attachments

• NZ 2011 066.jpg
    NZ 2011 066.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 20131029_030421.jpg
    20131029_030421.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 20131030_140507.jpg
    20131030_140507.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 333
  • 20131102_230410.jpg
    20131102_230410.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 20131104_225021.jpg
    20131104_225021.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 331
  • 20131106_220805.jpg
    20131106_220805.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 332
If you want a sheep experience, go to New Zealand. Your biggest expense will be the airfare. Totally DIY possible. Lots of public land, no license or tag fees, no limit, no closed season. You can even hunt big game in National Parks.

I actually went to NZ this past May and had a blast hunting red stags. No matter how cheap you do it there are always added cost on an international hunt. Not to mention 1k-2k airfare, car rental, atleast 1 or 2 nights in a hotel, heavy baggage fees, heli fees if you aren't hiking in. Im going back for a tahr but I don't think I can swing it this spring.

I am in sales and I can get you an item cheap, fast or good and can get you any two of those but never all three. Aoudad hunts have the same restrictions. You can go DIY with OTC or cheap. You can go OTC or pay to get on ranch or choose an outfitter without a waiting list to go fast. You can pay for a guide or pay to access a great ranch for a good hunt.

If you want to kill an aoudad, go to TX. If want to kill a larger ram, go to TX. If want to hunt an aoudad for the adventure and an unfilled tag or a small ram or ewe would be seen as a nice outcome then can hunt either NM or TX. The cost to get on a ranch increases your odds for finding a mature ram a well as your willingness to wait a year or two to get to the top of the list.

Have you considered a hog hunt for your spring adventure? You could find a "guided" hog hunt for way less than an aoudad. Probably find a place with hunting from blinds or spot and stalk and night possibilities for a lot less and take home lots of great pork.
Or a place with hogs and aoudad.

Some of the Texas hunting forums have outfitters and day lease info. Texas Hunter Forum and Texas Bowhunter Forum. Quite a few aoudad hunts on both.

I will be headed up to unit 34 this spring to chase Barbary Sheep. No experience with it yet, but I will let you know how it works out. The OTC season doesn't open until April. All of the youtube videos I have seen of folks doing the OTC hunts I can see the White Sands National Monument in the background, so I know folks have been successful up there. This is by far the least expensive option and the tag is valid for a year. THere are a few other units that are open for it as well, but every single pic I have seen is up in the western side of the Sacramento Mountains.

Have you considered a hog hunt for your spring adventure? You could find a "guided" hog hunt for way less than an aoudad. Probably find a place with hunting from blinds or spot and stalk and night possibilities for a lot less and take home lots of great pork.
Or a place with hogs and aoudad.

Some of the Texas hunting forums have outfitters and day lease info. Texas Hunter Forum and Texas Bowhunter Forum. Quite a few aoudad hunts on both.

Im not really interested in a hog hunt. I can hunt them here in SC year round.

I will be headed up to unit 34 this spring to chase Barbary Sheep. No experience with it yet, but I will let you know how it works out. The OTC season doesn't open until April. All of the youtube videos I have seen of folks doing the OTC hunts I can see the White Sands National Monument in the background, so I know folks have been successful up there. This is by far the least expensive option and the tag is valid for a year. THere are a few other units that are open for it as well, but every single pic I have seen is up in the western side of the Sacramento Mountains.

Ive read that you can hunt them otc in NM year round, but NM licenses run through March 31st. So a lot of guys go in April because that's when you can buy your new license and new tag for the new "hunting year".

You're in SC?

TN has some game ranches that carry Aoudad's.

Ive read that you can hunt them otc in NM year round, but NM licenses run through March 31st. So a lot of guys go in April because that's when you can buy your new license and new tag for the new "hunting year".

Yeah that's why I am waiting until the season starts over. I needed time to get in shape a bit and 600 bucks is a big deal in my world so I want all year for opportunity. Good luck on your hunt in Texas.

Well?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back